Chapter 25: Kei Valancia

"Tell the grandpa faery king that we said hi, won't you?" - Rei

~~~~~~~~~~

"He owns a casino?" I sputtered out in disbelief.

"Several, actually," Titus responds absent-mindedly. As we all followed him through his portal, we found ourselves submerged in the sounds of risk and sin. "He lives in Las Vegas, what else is he supposed to do?"

"So I was right!" Kasey sounded triumphant.

"She is never going to let this go. Ever." Jeremy muttered solemnly.

"Let's go," Titus cut in, ignoring them both. We found ourselves in a dark room, with wooden floors that were so polished I swore I saw my reflection. Deep leather couches that looked like they would eat me if I sunk in even an inch lined the walls on each side of us, with a bar behind us with shelves so full of bottles of liquid that I would never be able to remember. The walls a deep wine red color and with dim lighting made the whole atmosphere in the room completely sinful. Titus, walking with hurried strides, moved towards the door that was just as intimidating as the rest of the decor.

"Everyone, stay here. I'll go fetch him." Titus didn't even wait for a response before opening the door and disappearing. With a quiet click, the door shut behind him and we were all left standing there absolutely dumbfounded.

"So, who wants a drink?" Kasey grinned and made her way behind the bar, grabbing bottles down from the shelves. Jeremy followed her and snatched the bottle at her hand before swatting her on the back of her head.

"I don't think you fully understand what our job entails," Jeremy said, reprimanding her. Rubbing the spot where he hit her, she bared her teeth slightly in almost a pouty gesture.

"It was quite obvious it was for the bosses, not me. I'm not stupid." He only raised an eyebrow in response. She huffed and stalked around the bar to lean against the far wall, her face set in a scowl. Jeremy, seeming unbothered by her reaction, put the bottle away calmly. Ryker and I watched this whole scene go down with blank expressions, sharing a look.

"Well, that was something," I say to him through mindlink.

"Don't mind them. Even with their bickering they are still the best," he responded. I did not doubt him on that. Even when they were having their little spat I still noticed the way they stayed aware of everything around them, covering each other's blind spots perfectly.

"While we are here, does anybody wanna teach me some blackjack?" I asked, breaking the silence. Almost immediately I saw Kasey perk right back up.

"It would be my pleasure, Luna." She practically skipped to the poker table, the green carpet-like top decorated with card sized outlines on it. Honestly, I sometimes felt young and dumb when it came to instances such as this. "Jeremy, would you do us the honor of being the dealer?" she asked him. With a roll of his eyes and an exasperated smile, he joined us. Ryker came along beside me silently, not partaking in the conversation.

"No counting cards, Kasey." Jeremy warned her. She only looked at him innocently.

"I would never do that to Luna. And no money is involved so there is no point in trying," she said with a mischievous grin before taking a seat at the table. Jeremy went around and stood behind and faced us. I went to sit beside Kasey, Ryker pulling a chair up on the other side of me. "Do you have a deck of cards?"

Almost like magic, a rectangular little box appeared in his right hand. "We are in a casino. It would be harder to try and not find a deck of cards." He opened the top little flap and pulled out what I could only assume was said cards.