Chapter 16

Please vote, comment, share, thx!

17th of June,144 days til the election

David P.O.V

When I wake up I see it's still dark in the bus, I lay in my bunk, while I feel the bus lightly fly over the roads of South Dakota.

Sleeping in a bus may sound good, it's even better than that. The rhythm of the wheels softly shakes you into a very comfortable sleep.

It has been a week since we visited Washington, luckily mom was allowed to leave the hospital the day we got back.

Ofcourse we had a few days of rest after those stressful days, a lot of people sent flowers, cards and best wishes to help us get back on track again.

Even Abraham Johnson sent flowers, ofcourse he openly condemned the assassination attempt. He had no choice ofcourse, even if he didn't mean it, he would have lost the election then and there if he didn't condemn it.

I have to keep remembering myself it was a serious assassination attempt. Now it all just seems like a big fus about little. I mean my mom hurt her shoulder, big deal. But it could have been much worse.

I try and forget that, one of my ways to deal with problems I can't do anything about, and so far it has worked quite good for me.

Three days ago we left Bismarck and we will be arriving in Nebraska tommorow morning. Nebraska..

I smile at the thought, tommorow, or should I say later today, Jason will join the tour for a couple of weeks. It will be great I hope.

I'm really awake now, I decide to get up and grab a glass of milk in the very small kitchen in the front of the bus.

As I get out of my bunk, being very quiet in order to not wake my family up I grab my phone to see the time, 5 A.M.

When im the small hallway I hear some people talking. When I walk into the kitchen, I see my mother sitting on the small sofa next to the driver's seat with a cup of what smells like hot chocolate.

When she hears me, she looks up and says softly:

'Hello David, couldn't you sleep as well?'

'I could, but I woke up and I was thirsty, so that's why I'm here.' I say.

After I pour myself a glass of milk, mom pats on the place next to her on the small sofa.

I sit down next to her and kiss her on the cheek, for a while we just sit together cozily and sip of our drinks.

Then the driver breaks the comfort of silence:

'Marley, if you want a blanket there is one in that small cupboard over there.'

I only now see it's Andrew, there aren't a lot of other people who call mom Marley and not Ma'am. He might not even be as bad as he always seemed to me. A blanket would be nice, it's not warm over here.

'Thanks Andrew.' Mom says with a smile and a few seconds later the warmth of the blanket embraces every part of me except my head.

I ask: 'What were you guys talking about?'

'We're talking about my running mate choice.' Mom says.

I completely forgot that, mom's choice for vice president. Who will it be, I really don't know, it could be almost every democratic senator of Governor.

'And?' I say askingly.

'I've decided to go with Gerald.'

'Gerald? He isn't even a politician!' I say with big eyes, I did not expect this in the slightest.

'That's exactly why, he is a man of the people. And he is intelligent and a good manager, I think he would be a great vice president.' Mom says.

'Well, you've got a point there.' I say while thinking.

She smiles and says:

'Well I'm going back to bed, see you later Andrew. Bye Dave.'

'Bye, mom.' 'Sleep well, Marley.' We respond in unison.

As she walks away, I settle myself under the blanket and stare out of the big front window of the bus. All I can see is road, just road, very long straight road, as far as one's eyes allow him to look.

Not a single soul in sight, just stars and a very small spot of daylight on the horizon, the sun is rising. The sun is rising over the empty landscape of America's Midwest.

I am looking at the mere but small. spectacle unfolding for my eyes as i hear something come up on the radio.

American oxygen by Rihanna.

I smile and think of my country, our country, our nation. Growing up in the USA you do get quite your fair share of patriotism. I do love this country, and I understand why it's so great.

Obama said it once very beautifully: "Where we are met with cynicism and doubt and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people, yes we can."

As this famous line goes around my head the bus goes down the road right into a new day of America's greatness.

●●●●

As soon as we arrive at the hotel, a wave of reporter' questions hits us.

'Mrs Adams, how is your recovery going?'

'Ma'am, how do you respond tho the claims of Fox news that the attempt of your assassination was prepared by the campaign team of Abraham Johnson.'

Our entire family snaps their head at the reporter, who said that.

'What??' Do I say.

'You didn't hear, Fox news says they have sources that claim the attempt was prepared by him.'

'You will hear an official answer to that in due time, let's go David.' My mom says quickly and calmly.

As we walk to the door of the hotel, the volume of the questions rises enormously, but noone responds anymore.

When we're inside and out of the sight of the cameras mom says irritatedly:

'Gerald, go find out what the hell that fox news thing was about, right now!'

A/N

Hello :). I'm back. Hope you like it! Vote and follow, please leave suggestions. School is fucked, I hate it. BYEE
X