Chapter Nine

It's only been one year. Throughout that year, she's traveled all around New Jersey, searching for the man that murdered her parents.

Her search only lead her back home to Gotham.

Ten minutes ago, she made contact with her old best friend, agreeing to meet each other at her friend's place in about ten minutes.

Ava couldn't help but be nervous. Last she heard of Monica, she left her a voicemail a year ago saying that everything will be explained in time.

Now is that time.

Ava takes a deep breath as she parks the stolen motorcycle on the empty road in front of the apartment building.

Her tennis shoes land on Gotham's empty street as she slips off the motorcycle. Her purple eyes search the outside of the apartment building, finding only a few lights turned on.

She lifts her finger, slamming the locked gates to the apartment building open. The backpack, containing her cloak and full body suit, bounces against her back with each step she takes.

Apartment 12, second floor. Ava reminds herself as she travels up the stain covered stairs.

She never liked how her best friend had nothing being the young adult they both are today. She tried helping Monica with debt payments, but Monica insisted she could handle it herself.

She stands in front of her best friend's apartment. Taking a deep breath, she knocks on the apartment door.

The apartment door opens slightly, revealing that it's been open. She furrows her eyes brows in confusion.

She pushes the door open, a strong metallic scent rushes through her nostrils. Tears gather in her eyes as the horrid sight before her reveals itself.

"Monica?" Ava gasps out.

A bloody Monica is tied to a bloody chair. A huge knife protrudes from her thigh. Her head hangs as if unconscious, or dead.

On the wall in green spray paint was only two words.

Your move

Ava snaps back to reality as Rick explodes the cement wall in front of the squad. A staircase reveals itself and the squad trudges onward.

All but Ava begin to climb the stairs. Ava looks up and sees how many stair she would half to climb. "Fuck this."

Her eyes glow slightly and she levitates off the ground.

Ava rarely uses her power to make her levitate. She usually feels drained afterwards, but seeing this many stairs, she's willing to suffer the consequence.

She hops over the railing and levitates beside the squad, just incase they aren't going all the way up.

"I gotta work on my cardio." Harley Quinn pants. She then points her thumb at Ava as she stops to take a break. "This chick is way to lucky."

Harley then stops talking, and starts looking at the darkness that is known as the bottom of the stairs.

Floyd stops before he's about to walk past the daydreaming blonde. He looks at Ava. "You doing this?"

Ava raises her hands in innocence as she floats in front of the two. "Sorry to disappoint, but no."

Floyd clasps a hand on Harley's shoulder, making her jolt and grab her pistol. She aims it at Floyd who holds his hands up in surrender.