Chapter Twelve

~Flashback~

"Why doesn't she want me?" Chloe questioned herself.

She rubbed her hands against her arms to try to warm herself up. It wasn't too cold but she definitely wished she had a jacket.

She stopped at the stoplight just a few streets away from her house. She looked both ways even though the other side said red.

She stared at the ground as she bit her lip. Tears were falling down her face as she thought of Kalani making Maddie happy.

She was now deep in thought. Hardly focusing on the real world to even hear the car coming. She didn't even feel the impact.

~Present~

"She was hit by a car sometime this morning. Been here since about four."

"Oh, my god," Maddie gasped as she grabbed her mouth.

"We've already had two surgeries done."

"On what?"

"We had to go in and get all of the broken off pieces of her ribs before they punctured her lungs. The other one was her ankle, it was fractured in four different places and we tried our best to keep it together," he coughed.

"Her ankle?" Maddie asked worriedly.

"Yes."

"Is it going to be okay? Can she dance again?"

"I'm afraid we don't know the answer to that," he answered truthfully.

"Oh, God," she whimpered, "dancing is Chloe's everything."

"I'm sorry," he offered.

"It's fine," she wiped her nose. "Have you talked to her about it yet?"

"No, she hasn't woken up yet," he said softly.

"She hasn't woken up yet?" She yelped. "What do you mean?" She rushed back into the room and fell onto a seat next to Chloe.

Tears flowed as she choke out, "Chloe, please wake up."

"Ms. Ziegler-"

"It's M-Maddie," she said in between breaths.

"Right, um, you can't be in... Never mind. I have to go run and get some papers done. If anyone asks, you're her sister," he said.

"Thank you," she cried.

He nodded before walking out.

"Chloe, you need to wake up."

No, I'm taking a nap," she mumbled.

"Oh, god, Chloe, you're awake," Maddie smiled as she grabbed Chloe's hand.

Chloe didn't respond so Maddie figured she fell asleep.

Maddie kissed Chloe's hand before walking outside. She turned to see Mackenzie standing outside the door.

"Can I go see her, Maddie?" She questioned.

"Sure, that's fine," she whispered.

Maddie went to turn the corner and she bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Maddie," Kalani said.

"Oh," Maddie looked up, "what're you doing here?"

"You wouldn't answer my texts or calls so I asked Mackenzie if you were okay and she told me you were here. I got here as soon as I could. How is Chloe doing? Do you know what happened?"