Chapter Twenty Seven

"So, this is really it, huh? You're leaving," Maddie sniffled.

"Madison, I'm going to come home soon, I promise," Kalani said as she wrapped Maddie in a hug.

"I know. I'm just really going to miss you. You're going to be in college and you're going to be doing college things."

"Oh, yeah, like what?" Kalani laughed.

"Like going to parties and seeing college girls," Maddie rolled her eyes.

"I'll promise to stay away from college girls if you promise to stay away from Chloe," Kalani joked.

Maddie winced as she thought back to the night she last saw Chloe.

"Stay the fuck away from Maddie," Kalani said as she turned towards her girlfriend, who was staring at her in disbelief.

"Kalani, I can explain."

"I know you can. Help your friend here, come talk to me upstairs when you're done so we can sort this out, then let's just enjoy this fucking summer," Kalani said as she grabbed the bottle of vodka and headed into the living room.

Maddie glanced down at Chloe before looking up to Josh.

"Go ahead, I got her," Josh whispered.

Maddie shook her head before running upstairs into Kalani's room.

"Well, that was quick," Kalani raised her eyebrow.

"Yeah, well, I needed to talk to you."

"So, talk."

"Okay, look, it's true," Maddie mumbled.

"What's true?"

"I kissed Chloe but-"

"Madison, I don't want any lies. Just tell me the whole truth, don't leave anything out, and I'll try to understand."

"Okay," Maddie gulped. "It was right after you told me you didn't want me anymore. You know, the night in the hotel. I really just couldn't handle it. I couldn't handle the thought of you not wanting me. I was really sad. Then Chloe started telling me that it wasn't worth being sad over because I'm a great person and that you should realize that. My sadness quickly turned into anger. I wasn't thinking straight. You didn't want me so I kissed her. I honestly don't even know why. Not even fifteen seconds in I realized what I was doing and I stopped. I left and switched rooms immediately because I knew that you were all I wanted. Not Chloe. I understand if you're mad at me and want to break up with me, I really do. What I did was stupid and I wish it never happened but it did. It's something that I can't take back no matter how much I wish I could. I'm sorry, Kalani, I really am," Maddie answered truthfully.

"I understand," Kalani said while looking down.

"What do you mean?"

"I get it. You're emotions were going crazy because I was being a terrible girlfriend. Even though I hurt you, you still stopped once you realized what was happening. Don't worry about, really."

"What? You weren't being a terrible girlfriend. I was."

"Madison, just let it go."

"But-"

"Madison, I'm serious. I'm telling you it's okay. Just go help Chloe then come dance with me," Kalani said as she placed a kiss on Maddie's forehead and walked back downstairs.

Maddie sat there dumbfounded. She quickly got up and made her way back to the kitchen, where Chloe was sitting on the counter.

"Chloe, I can't do this anymore," Maddie whispered.

"Can't do what?"

"This whole thing, with you."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you've taken things too far. Look, I love you, Chloe, I really do but only as a friend. We have been best friends since we were little then as soon as I start to like someone you tell me you have feelings for me. Not only that but you tried to push yourself into me by making me feel bad for liking Kalani and not you and that's not okay. Even after I told you that I just want to be best friends and nothing more, you still continued to do things that weren't okay. I have given you so many chances to just be my friend and you haven't taken them. So, I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry, Chloe. Just leave me alone, okay?" Maddie gave her a sympathetic look before walking out, leaving Chloe crying in the kitchen.

"Not funny, Kalani," Maddie huffed.

"I know, I'm sorry, baby."

"It's fine, I guess."

"So, have you made your decision on whether you're going to live with Paige or go back to your moms house?"

"I'm going to Paige's. I'll have my stuff out of your house soon, I promise."

"Don't worry about it, honey. You know my mom loves having you."

"I know," Maddie smiled.

"Alright, I really have to get going. It's a long drive," Kalani frowned.

"I don't want you to leave," Maddie pouted.

"I'll see you soon. I love you, okay?" Kalani said as she wrapped Maddie into a hug.

"I love you," Maddie squeezed. "I'll see you soon."

With that, Kalani gently kissed Maddie's lips and got into her car. She waved as she left the driveway and left Maddie crying on the driveway.

"I'm really going to miss her."

————————

Honestly it was so much fun writing this book. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read it.

The sequel will be out soon I promise. As soon as it's out, i'll put up an announcement in this book. I love you all❤️