Chapter Twenty One

Maddie rolled over in bed to check her phone. Why is Kalani calling me at 3am?

"Hello?" She answered groggily.

"Hi, my love," Kalani said in a hushed tone.

"Don't get me wrong, I love talking to you but why are you calling me at 3am when we have to be up in three hours for our dance competition?"

"About that," Kalani coughed, "I wanted to talk to you about this weekend."

"Kalani, you had all week at school to talk to me about this weekend. I'm going to bed, honey."

Before Kalani could stop her, Maddie quickly hung up the phone. Kalani huffed before putting her phone down and drifting back to sleep.

Maddie woke up to Kenzie going through her bathroom. "Dude, what are you doing?"

"I'm looking for my scrunchie, duh," Kenzie rolled her eyes. "Also, get up. It's six thirty and we have to be at the studio in like twenty minutes."

Maddie sighed before rushing out of bed. She quickly threw on sweats and a hoodie before throwing her hair into a messy bun. She grabbed her bag and headed downstairs.

"You two ready?" Melissa asked as she handed both girls yogurt.

"Yeah, mom, lets go," Kenzie said.

They all made their way to the car and quickly drove to the dance studio.

"Good morning, you two. Hustle up and get on the bus. Melissa, you know the drill, the moms are in their van waiting for you," Abby smiled.

Kenzie hurried to her middle seat next to Jojo as Maddie scanned for her favorite face. She smiled as she spotted Kalani a few seats in but quickly frowned when she saw her head against Paige's shoulder.

Kalani's eyes met Maddie's for a brief second as she gave her a quick smile before turning away.

Maddie took her red face and made her way to the back of the bus where she plopped down next to Chloe.

"Okay, ladies, it's about a 12 hour drive so get comfortable. Also, your roommate for the weekend will be who you are sitting with right now," Abby said.

Maddie could see Kalani's head poke up and saw her happy expression drop as she saw Maddie was sitting with Chloe.

"Okay, roomie, I call window bed," Chloe chuckled.

"Alright, fair enough."

Maddie decided to pull out her phone and shoot Kalani a text.

"what's up with you?"

Maddie chewed her nails as she waited thirty seconds for a reply.

"nothing, have fun w your roomie. talk later."

Maddie rolled her eyes as she pulled out her headphones and drifted off into a nap.

Maddie woke up to her phone buzzing. She checked her phone and saw it was seven thirty, she was surprised she slept the whole bus ride. She checked to see that she had five messages from Kalani.

"why didn't you reply to me?"

"madison??"

"please don't be mad at me. i said i wanted to talk to you about this weekend."

"real fucking cute sleep position you have there."

"fuck you honestly. hope you have a great weekend with chloe."