Chapter Fourteen

Maddie spent the next two weeks trying to figure out her feelings. Chloe? Kalani? All she knew was that Chloe is getting out of the hospital today and she couldn't be happier. She also knew that every time she saw Kalani with Keaton in the hallway, her heart dropped and she felt sick.

Maddie quickly snapped out of her thoughts as Kenzie walked into her room, "hey, you coming with to set up Chloe's room?"

"Yeah, of course. Just let me get dressed."

Kenzie shook her head then left the room. Maddie sighed as she rolled out of bed on this gloomy Sunday afternoon. She threw on her usual baggy black and white flannel over a white shirt, sweat pants, and white vans. She quickly brushed her teeth and ran her brush through her hair a few times before heading downstairs to greet Kenzie.

"Ready to go?" Kenzie asked as Maddie mumbled in response.

Maddie grabbed her keys and the two girls headed towards Chloe's house.

"Hey, Mads! Question," Kenzie said with a sneaky smile.

"What's up?"

"So, your birthday is next week...." she trailed off.

"Yeah," Maddie chuckled, "and?"

"Annnndddd, you're throwing a party."

"The fuck I am," Maddie continued to laugh.

"Maddie, please? You're turning seventeen, dude!"

"I know, dude. I just don't want to throw a party. I have too much going on right now."

"Oh, you mean like you don't know which girl you'd want as your date?" Mackenzie laughed.

Maddie looked over and smacked her shoulder, "shut up, dude."

"Ow, the fuck was that for?"

"I know who I would want as my date," Maddie said as her voice went high.

"Oh, yeah?" Mackenzie raised her eyebrow, "who then?"

"We're here, lets go," Maddie smirked.

"Whatever, can we please just throw a party? We can have it at Gino's house, his parents are never home!"

"Gino?" She questioned suspiciously. "The one from dance?"

"Yeah, why?"

"How do you even know him? He's older than I am."

"I don't know, we ran into each other after dance a few weeks ago, he's kind of cute," she smiled.

"Okay, dude, no. You're only fifteen and he's eighteen, that's illegal," she huffed.

"Whatever. Party though. Please?"

"Okay, fine, but you have to set it up."

"Sweet, thanks! Now let's go get Chloe's room set up."

They grabbed some stuff from the trunk which they got the day before and headed inside. No one was there but Maddie had a key. They set up Chloe's room with balloons and flowers and all her favorite candies. They set up a welcome home banner downstairs for Chloe to see when she walked in.

"Alright, all done," Kenzie said as she pretended to wipe sweat from her head, "what now?"

"Well, Chloe should be home in like fifteen minutes so I guess we wait," Maddie shrugged her shoulders before she jumped on the couch.

"Alright," Kenzie agreed as she jumped on the other couch. "So, talk to me."

"About what?"

"Your girls obviously. What's going on?"