Chapter 7

Percy's point of view

Selina is two now, we decided we would take her to Montauk like Mom would always do with me. the cabin mom always rented wasn't big enough for all four of us, so my mom and Paul were renting one of the others. I told them that they didn't have to, that I could have rented another one, and let them have the one we always used, but mom being mom she insisted.

I was driving to Montauk with Silena when she asked,

"Daddy where are we going?"

"Somewhere your Grandma always used to take me when I was growing up sweetheart," I answered still keeping my eyes focused on the road ahead of us.

"Will it be fun?" she asked me.

"It always was for me," I answered smiling slightly even though she couldn't see it.

Montauk was one of the only places Annabeth hadn't ruined for me, I had always loved it there, and we had decided to continue the tradition with Silena. I hadn't actually taken her swimming before, and I didn't know if she had inherited any of my powers so I wasn't going to take her out far when we did go into the water. I wasn't going to use any of my powers either to keep up the charade that I was normal. I wasn't going to tell her the truth about our lineage until she was at least twelve.

I wasn't going to put her in danger early by her finding out the truth about us. Eventually, I turned into the area where the cabins were. I noticed that the Prius was already there, which meant that my mom and Paul had beat us here. A while back Paul had gotten the hood fixed, apparently, he had told the mechanic that the car had been vandalized in order to cover the real cause of the rather large dents. I let silena out of the backseat and then got our things out of the trunk. I walked toward the cabins. When we reached them I went into ours and began cleaning it up a bit.

Silena had followed me in and played with a toy that we had brought as I cleaned. Silena seemed to like playing with dolls and other girly toys, her favourite movies and stories seemed to be fairy tales. See also seemed to have a tomboyish side though since she also liked to play outside. Even though we had never taken her there before I was pretty sure Silena would enjoy the weekend at Montauk, obviously I couldn't be sure, but I hoped she would.

As I was cleaning the cabin I heard Silena shout,

"Grandma!" I glanced in her direction and saw that she had run out of the cabin to my mom who stood outside the cabin Paul close behind her.

After I finished cleaning we headed down to the beach, I let Silena collect a few rocks and shells that caught her interest, but I made sure the shells were empty first. After that she just started playing in the sand, I watched her as she played happily, well I did until she threw a handful of sand at me.

I said, "Silena no, don't throw sand."

She got the message and went back to playing.

I thought about other things we could do, but there were some things  she wouldn't be able to understand yet since she is still pretty young, those could wait till she was older since based on the fact that she seemed to be enjoying herself I figured we would be coming back. I wasn't about to complain about that, I had always enjoyed going there going up so I would have no problem with coming back.

Being near my dad's domain seemed to be helping me cheer up a bit, when I was at camp going to the beach would always help me think. The heartbreak caused by Annabeth leaving me didn't go away, but it wasn't quite as hard to deal with. A while back I decided to contact Grover.

He was my best friend, I had missed him but I had hesitated to contact him because I wasn't sure whether he would be at camp or off somewhere protecting the wild. It was nice to talk to him again, although I made him promise to not tell anyone else at camp that I had contacted him. Even though Annabeth had been the only one that had hurt me, but I didn't want anyone from camp knocking on my door trying to convince me to come back.

When we did go into the water Silena really enjoyed that too. We didn't go very deep since Silena hadn't learned to swim yet, and I didn't know if she had gotten my powers. I could safely say that we had all enjoyed that weekend, I was pretty sure that we would all be coming back next year, and that the tradition would continue on.

During the last day of our trip, my dad showed up. I was walking on the beach when he walked up to me. he said, "So the tradition continues."

I shrugged a small smile appearing on my face before saying, "Mom and I always liked it here, and we thought she might like it as well."

"Did she?" he asked me.

I replied, "Yes she has enjoyed it like we hoped."

He smiled, and we talked for a bit before Silena came wandering out of the cabin where she had been with my mom and Paul. When she saw my dad she shouted, "Grandpa!" before running toward him right into his outstretched arms. I couldn't help but smile at the scene, even though my dad doesn't visit that often, they were still pretty close.

Silena asked him, "Grandpa why are you here? I didn't know you were coming."

Smiling at her, Dad said, "I knew you were coming here, I thought I would pay you a visit."

Later that day we returned to the city, but I knew that wouldn't be the last time we went to Montauk, I knew Silena had enjoyed herself, and so had the rest of us, I had always enjoyed going there, and I felt like being near the sea again made me feel a bit better. I love Silena and I know that if it came down to that I would do pretty much anything to protect her.

She is the most important person in my life, and losing her would be even worse than Annabeth leaving me, that's why I won't let anything happen to her. she is my daughter, and most likely the only child I will ever have, I've enjoyed every minute with her, and I don't know what I would ever do if I lost her.