Chapter 30

A/N Here's the next chapter, and it's a bit longer than usual.

Percy's point of view

I wasn't quite sure what to do this evening, Something that had happened today had bothered me quite a bit, considering what I do on a daily basis I guess that's probably not all that surprising but nonetheless what had happened today had bothered me. You're probably immediately guessing that it was a gruesome murder scene or a suicide but that's not it.

We'd gone to a house to arrest a couple for drug charges, but what we either didn't hear or weren't told before we got there was that they also had a son. Basically, we had to take away the only parents that poor kid had ever known and the look that had been on his face was one that would stay in my mind for quite a while, he had freaked out like any kid would in that situation and it was his reaction that bothered me.

While most kids are taught to trust cops this boy wasn't, probably because both of his parents were involved in something illegal. I knew his parents probably weren't good parents considering that they'd had drugs around him for who knows how long, and that's not something a child should be exposed to. I wasn't even sure if the kid had any other family that he could stay with until he might be able to be with his parents again. I didn't like having to separate a family but his parents had committed a crime so I didn't exactly have any other choice.

For the boy's sake, I hoped his parents would eventually turn their lives around but no one could do that but them so I really didn't know what would become of the boy. I thought about returning to camp early but I decided against it, on my way home from work I'd quickly grabbed a burger since I didn't really feel like cooking anything and headed home. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do this evening.

TV gets boring after a while and there weren't really any movies in theaters right now that I was interested in seeing. I still had my old video game console that mom got me when I was younger and it still worked, but they'd stopped making new games for it, and the games I still had didn't really appeal to me anymore. I had never upgraded to the newest system because ever since Silena had arrived most of my money had gone toward raising her and keeping a roof over our heads.

Well, that and the fact that I wasn't as interested in video games as I once was. Silena hasn't taken an interest in video games, but if she eventually does I might consider getting a new one. For now, though I'm not going to bother and continue to put my money toward more important things. I wasn't really interested in going anywhere tonight. I could phone my mom or visit her but I didn't want to worry her since I knew she would be able to tell that something was bothering me.

Aphrodite and I had been spending quite a lot of time together since we started dating but we didn't have anything planned for tonight. Sometimes she shows up when we don't have anything planned but I can't really predict when she'll show up. I love her and I think that my life has improved quite a bit since we started dating.

It's mainly because I've been happier than I was before I fell for her. She'd also helped me move on from Annabeth so that was the main reason why I was a lot happier. Despite that what I witness as a cop still bothers me sometimes depending on how serious and bothersome the situations I have to deal with are. Honestly, some of the things I've witnessed would bother any sane person but I do it because it helps to get bad people off the streets and to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Not to mention that the pay is pretty good so I can afford everything that Silena and I need to live a decent life. I think Silena knows the true extent of the danger I am in basically every day, especially now that she is aware of the gods and monsters. It's not really something we talk about but I'm pretty sure she has figured it out.