Chapter 43

Percy's point of view

To say I was upset and annoyed would an understatement, I wasn't sure why the fates thought I needed to lose someone else, but clearly they must have since that's exactly what happened a few days ago. I think all cops know that our job could end up costing our life but for most of us we usually end up surviving some pretty nasty situations.

Unfortunately, my partner and friend, David, wasn't so lucky. He was killed while on duty only a few days ago. We'd become pretty good friends during the years we'd worked together, so it was a pretty tough loss for me. I guess my boss could tell just how hard it was for me since he'd let me take a few days off after that.

Innitially I protested but he'd insisted and I'd eventually given in.

Aphrodite used this as an opportunity to come and try and help me through it. It seems that ever since we'd started dating she's always been there for me. when something at work bothered me she was there, when Luke was being bullied but wouldn't tell us, she'd been there, when I'd started to wonder if she'd stay with me now that my age had begun to show she'd promised to stay by my side no matter what.

I love her so much. Hades I'd propose to her right now if it wasn't for the fact that I don't want to Abandon Silena. Maybe after a few more years I would but Until Silena is ready to move out on her own I don't want to just abandon her. Sure I love Aphrodite but my daughter is still more important to me than my love life.

Aphrodite knew I was blaming myself for David's death, thinking that I could have done more to try and stop it but that's what I always do when I lose someone.

Looking at me sadly she said, "Percy, you did everything you could to try and help him, please stop blaming yourself," I knew what she was saying was true I just couldn't quite make myself believe it right now.

When Silena wasn't at school she had been trying to tell me much the same thing. I think she'd probably tried everything short of using her charmspeak on me. I think she knew that even if she did try that it would just wear off eventually and I'd be right back where I started, not to mention that I'd also be kind of annoyed at her for using it on me.

Despite my own grief I knew that David's family were no doubt even more upset than I was. So I was also concerned for them. His wife was now a widow, and they had a daughter who was a few years older than Silena, and a son who was a couple years younger than Silena. Knowing how much pain they would be in I did what I could to help them, but because of my own grief that wasn't exactly easy.

Annabeth's point of view

I was happy that Luke seemed to be back to his old self now that he'd recovered from everything he'd gone through. I wasn't completely happy though, ever since I'd left camp after I learned I was pregnant with Luke I'd regretted breaking up with Percy. At the time it had seemed like the best choice because I was extremely busy designing new buildings for Olympus.

I didn't have enough time to be with Percy and work on the designs so I'd decided that I could no longer be with Percy. Because of how much time we'd been spending apart I thought that maybe my feelings for him were gone, or at least not as strong as they used to be. I'd eventually realized that I was wrong and that I'd made a huge mistake but by then it was way too late. When I'd learned I was pregnant with Luke I was shocked since I knew that Percy and I had always been careful but I also knew that accidents could still happen and that was obviously what had happened.

Over the years as I was working and raising Luke on my own, some men had been interested in me but I'd always refused partially because by then I realized I still had feelings for percy and because I didn't want to drag a normal mortal into the mess that was my life. The few times I'd given in and gone on a date it never seemed to work out and I wasn't sure I could move on from Percy.

Somehow rumors got out that Aphrodite had cursed me but if she had she'd never told me about it. I was sure that if she had she would have told me. Despite that I think she is still probably making my love life basically nonexistant since I'd had absolutely no luck with love ever since I'd broken up with Percy.

Now I was still regretting breaking up with Percy. I knew I still had feelings for him but it was obvious that I wasn't going to get him to take me back. He'd moved on and was dating the love goddess. I was honestly surprised that she'd stayed with him this long. I'd always assumed that she was incapable of remaining loyal to someone due to the fact that she'd always seemed to be cheating on Hephaestus and she'd always seemed to have a lot of children at camp.

I knew it had been several years since she had started dating Percy and no new children of hers had showed up at camp. Most of the time I try not to think about my lack of a love life and just focus on work and Luke.

Silena's point of view

I was concerned about my dad, I knew he was upset because of his friend's death, and I also got the feeling he'd been blaming himself for it. I'd been trying to help him and so was my mom, but so far it seemed like we hadn't gotten through to him. A while after David's wake and funeral I think that one of us must have finally made him accept that he couldn't have prevented what had happened, or in the least that he'd started to accept the fact that his friend was gone.

David's death didn't bother me as much since I never really knew him that well, but my dad had known him since I was still a little kid. Over time my dad slowly returned to being his usual self and because of that, I wasn't quite as worried about him as I had been. Other than David's death, our lives have been reasonably normal ignoring the occasional monster attack.

During the days Dad had off after David's death I think he visited camp a couple times. Like he always does he also went there on the weekend. I know my mom visited him more often during those days too. 

One weekend I was at camp, and Ezra and I were on the beach. It was almost hard to believe that our relationship had lasted this long, we'd had our rough patches, but so far we'd managed to get through them.

More recently I've started to think about what I want to do once I finish high school, I haven't really made any decisions about that and I have at least another year before I have to make them. I know I could stay in one of the camps or stay in Manhattan, but for now, I didn't know which one I wanted to choose. I shoved my thoughts about the future aside for the moment, deciding to just enjoy the moment I was currently in, spending some time with my boyfriend. I asked Ezra about what had been going on at camp since I saw him last and he asked about what had happened to me since then.

To be honest, not much had happened to either of us, camp was the same as always, and thankfully I hadn't had to deal with any monsters during the week either. We didn't talk for very long though since we started kissing. That eventually got more heated, but we had to separate for air. Although I love him and I don't really want to end our relationship I might have to if he screws up again. You're probably wondering how he screwed up. Well, he accused me of cheating on him with another camper when I didn't even see that camper as anything more than a friend.

He should have known the truth but he was being stupid and paranoid. I don't think the fact that I'm a daughter of Aphrodite had anything to do with his doubts. I think that more than anything it was because he was afraid that I would hurt or leave him. I wasn't sure, but based on what he'd told me about his past I think the fear was an aftereffect of what the foster home he'd been in had done to him. He has trouble letting new people into his life, and once they are a part of it he's always afraid they'll leave.

This was one of the reasons why I gave him a second chance in the first place I felt sorry for him because of what he'd gone through. The other reason why I gave him another chance was that I still loved him and didn't want our relationship to have to end. I didn't know if his paranoia would return but I hoped it wouldn't. For now, I was just enjoying spending time with him trying not to worry about if that time would last. 

A/N Just letting you all know, I think this story is almost done and will probably only have a few more chapters. I can't say how many exactly yet because I still have a few things planned and I'm not sure yet how many chapters it will take to get them all done.