Chapter 8: Three Encounters in Six Weeks

A/N: this chapter is going to have a few encounters between Josh and Maya that take place after her birthday and before his. Their birthdays are only 6 weeks apart so you'll see that Josh does keep his promise to be around! Hope you enjoy this chapter!

First Encounter: a week after Maya's birthday, Josh comes over with his laundry.
Josh: *walks into the apartment* hey family! Mind if I do my laundry here? *brings in a laundry basket that looks like it's about to explode*
Topanga: go on ahead Josh. It looks like you really need it *laughs* Riley, Cory, and Auggie are at the grocery store and I'm about to leave to go to the bank but you can stay and get some laundry done.
Josh: thanks Topanga! So I'll be by myself? *smiles and shuts the apartment door*
Maya: *walks out of Riley's room* guess again boing *smiles*
Topanga: I was about to tell you that Maya is here because she didn't want to go to the store. Maya do you mind helping Josh with his laundry? We can't have him walking around NYU with pink clothes *laughs*
Maya: *laughs with her* nah I don't mind if it's okay with Josh.
Josh: *smiles at the thought of spending quality time with Maya* of course. I can use the company and Topanga, that was one time I dyed my shirts pink! *rolls his eyes at Topanga*
Topanga: well have fun kids! I trust that those rules you made will be kept *leaves*
Maya: do you need help carrying that basket? It looks like it's about to bust *laughs* haven't done laundry in a while huh?
Josh: *laughs* yeah the machines on campus are out of order and I guess I should've come by sooner with the laundry *carries it to the laundry room*
Maya: may I ask why you chose today to do your laundry? *hops on top of the dryer while Josh starts separating the clothes*
Josh: do you want the honest answer or a lie? *starts putting the first load of clothes in the washer*
Maya: truth. I never want you to lie to me even if it's to spare my feelings *grabs her sketchbook and opens it to a blank page*
Josh: I wanted to see you. I was hoping you'd be here. I still would've done my laundry if you weren't here but I would've been disappointed that I didn't get to see you *smiles*
Maya: boing I'm glad you came by today. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm pretty much here all the time. Mom works a lot and whenever Shawn is on the road for work, I'd rather stay here than home by myself *starts sketching*
Josh: good. I'm glad to know that you're here when Shawn is out on the road. It would worry me if you stayed by yourself for days on end *notices Maya is sketching* whatcha drawing Hart?
Maya: *doesn't look up from her drawing* one, its Hart Hunter; two, I'm drawing something but I'm embarrassed to show you. I don't want things to get awkward *continues drawing but stops when she feels Josh pick her up* what do you think you're doing Matthews?
Josh: I'm taking you to the couch because it's more comfortable than the dryer *chuckles and gently places her on the couch* and you don't need to be embarrassed to show me your art. You're so talented!
Maya: *finishes the drawing* okay I'll show you but you have to not get all awkward with me.
Josh: *smiles* I promise now show me!
Maya: *hands him her sketchbook* I hope it doesn't look bad.
Josh: *gasps and eyes go wide* you drew... me?
Maya: yeah is that okay? *blushes*
Josh: it's more than okay Maya! You drew me so well! I love it *smiles*

 me? Maya: yeah is that okay? *blushes*Josh: it's more than okay Maya! You drew me so well! I love it *smiles*