Chapter 18: Maya meets driving lessons... from Boing?

It's summer before Maya and Riley start their junior year. Maya has been asking to learn how to drive.

Maya: *climbs through the bay window* sup Riles!
Riley: *smiles* peaches! Do you know what day today is?
Maya: *looks at her phone [the smart phone Cory got her in season 1]* it's June 30 Riley. What's so special about today?
Riley: *smiles greatly* today is your first driving lesson!
Maya: *grins* awesome! So who's teaching me? Cory? Topanga? Shawn? Or my mom?
Riley: *bites her lip* just wait and see!
Josh: *comes through the bedroom door* hey kiddies!
Maya: *hugs him* hey boing! I get my first driving lesson today.
Josh: *smirks* I know. You ready?
Maya: *grabs her wristlet* duh! But who's teaching me?
Josh: *smiles* you're looking at him.
Maya: *beams* you're teaching me?
Riley: he is. It took a lot of work to convince my parents and your parents to let him teach you *smiles*
Maya: *jumps on Josh's back* I'm really happy you're teaching me. And thank you both for doing this for me.
Josh: *grabs onto her legs to steady her* of course. I'm curious to see how this is going to go *smiles*
Maya: wait! Am I learning to drive a motorcycle? *smirks*
Josh: *laughs* that was the first thing the adults wanted to clear up. First you're getting a normal drivers license. Maybe one day I'll teach you to ride a motorcycle.
Maya: let's go boing *smiles and leans to kiss his cheek* I want to spend the day with you.
Josh: you got it ferret *carries her out the door and into the living room where everyone is sitting eating breakfast*
Katy: *smiles at Joshaya* is it weird that I'm not surprised she's on his back? *laughs* it seems like he's always giving her a piggyback ride.
Shawn: I'm starting to get used to this long game *smiles* but I'll still hurt him if he hurts her.
Maya: *rolls her eyes* you should be getting used to it. I'm 17. We've been playing the long game for almost two years.
Topanga: I don't think you'll have to worry about that. They can't hurt each other without hurting themselves in the process *smiles*
Cory: I agree. I know my brother. He isn't going to do anything to hurt her *smiles* but before you two leave, remember that although you two have fun around each other, driving is something you don't joke around with. Maya, listen to what he says okay? He wants you to be safe. And Josh, remember that this girl is your Maya, your Topanga. I know internally you're worried about her tendency for trouble and rebelliousness but just know that Maya knows when to be serious and behave and when it's okay to go a little rebellious. Trust her. Now go on and make memories that you'll look back on *hands the keys to the car to Josh* and come back in one piece please?
Josh: don't worry Cor. We'll be fine. I'm just taking her to an empty parking lot so she can practice driving without worrying about cars just yet.
Maya: *smiles* I'm excited!

Little while later Joshaya is in an empty parking lot and Maya is driving really well.
Josh: *beams* ferret you're doing great! For your first lesson, you're a natural!
Maya: *blushes at his compliments* thank you boing! It makes me feel good knowing you think I'm doing well.
Josh: *smirks* you always do well on everything you set your mind to. Look at us for instance. You set your mind and heart on me and haven't given up. And here we are, playing the long game. I love that you're so determined *smiles*
Maya: *puts the car in park* Josh *smiles* thank you for teaching me. Thank you for always keeping your promise that you want me in your life. Honestly I was afraid that after the ski lodge you wouldn't be around much. You proved me wrong. You're around everyday. You text me and call me and show me that you're not leaving.
Josh: *smiles* leaving you would break my heart ferret. I can't do that to either one of us. I just can't. Ready to go home?
Maya: *kisses his cheek* I'm ready. Thank you for today.
Josh: *grabs her hand and gives it a gentle squeeze* anytime gorgeous. A few more lessons and you'll be ready for the drivers test.
Maya: *switches seats with Josh so he can drive home* I'm happy you're the one who's teaching me. Guess that's a perk of you being a bit older right? *smirks*
Josh: *laughs* yeah we may not be able to be together yet but I can teach you to drive. Like how does that make any sense? People don't trust a 20 year old to date a 17 year old but they trust them to teach the other to drive? That makes logical sense *sarcastically rolls his eyes as he starts driving home*
Maya: if it makes you feel better, in my mind and heart we're already together officially *smirks*
Josh: *smiles* yeah but we both want to be able to say it out in public.
Maya: do I need to remind you that I'll be 18 in six months? *smirks*
Josh: explain to me again how you're turning 18 while you're a junior? Most juniors turn 17 during junior year.
Maya: *laughs* my mom put me in kindergarten a year too late.
Josh: so really if you went into kindergarten at the right time you would be a senior now? *realizes something*
Maya: yeah I would've been a senior and you'd be a junior in college and still saying I'm too young *rolls her eyes*
Josh: no no I just realized that if you weren't placed in school too late, you would've been a freshman when I was a senior... *bites his lip*
Maya: *finishes his sentence* and perhaps you might've asked me out since it's not uncommon for freshmen to date seniors. But if that was the case I might not have met Riley or Farkle. So really I have to say I'm glad things happened the way they happened. I got my best friend in the world and my boing.
Josh: *smiles* and I have my ferret *pulls up to the apartment building*
Maya: today was fun boing *grabs his hand while they walk to the apartment door*
Josh: *smiles* what happened to only holding hands during the holidays and during our six weeks?
Maya: *laughs* we broke rules so many times Josh. Why try to follow them now when we keep breaking them? Face it. We both like holding hands. So let's just go with it.
Joshaya: *walks in the door* hey!
Shawn: how was it? *smiles*
Josh: she's a natural! I couldn't believe how quickly she caught on *beams at her* she'll pass that test with flying colors.
Cory: I told you she knew when to be serious. And Maya did you listen to him? *smirks*
Maya: of course I did. I always listen to him *smiles*
Topanga: well I'm glad today went well! You staying for dinner Josh? *smiles*
Josh: and get to spend more time with this gorgeous blonde and my family? I'm in *smiles*
Maya: but what if I'm not staying for dinner Josh? *sticks her tongue out*
Josh: you're always here for dinner Maya. You have a permanent plate at the table *smirks*
Maya: *rolls her eyes* yeah yeah you're right *laughs*

A/N: that's the end of this chapter. Next chapter jumps to the end of junior year and junior prom! Hope you all liked this chapter. Don't forget to comment and vote! Love you all 😘