Chapter 11: Homecoming

A/N: hey did you watch the video above? Did you figure out why I chose it? Well in case you didn't understand why I chose a video with Joshaya and Zay: Zay asked to be Maya's date to the homecoming dance. Don't forget that Riley and the gang are sophomores in high school now and Josh is a sophomore in college. Let's see how Josh takes the news of his Topanga going to a dance with another guy!

*Josh, Maya, and Riley are sitting in the bay window. The homecoming dance is that night. Maya is going to the dance with Zay and she hasn't told Josh yet*
Josh: why'd you two text me to come to the bay window? What's wrong? *looks scared*
Riley: Maya you have to tell him *looks at Maya who looks freaked out before walking out*
Maya: Josh you can't get mad okay?
Josh: ferret you have to tell me. I'm getting worried here *grabs her hand*
Maya: *looks down* Zay is taking me to the dance tonight...
Josh: ZAY?! I knew he liked you! *screams*
Maya: he doesn't. He knew I didn't want to go alone because I asked Cory if you could take me and he said the school doesn't allow out of school students that are over the age of 18.
Josh: and I'm 19... shit. I would take you if I could ferret *looks sad* I'm glad you're going though. You need to experience high school gorgeous. Can you promise me something?
Maya: anything boing *smiles at him*
Josh: when you come home, dance with me to one song so I can say I danced with you the night of the dance *smiles weakly*
Maya: of course Josh. I'd dance every dance with you. Hell I'd skip the dance for you.
Josh: don't do that. I want you to have fun. Even if it's with Zay *kisses her forehead*
Maya: *looks up at him* so you're not mad at me?
Josh: no I'm not mad gorgeous. I only screamed when I thought I might be losing you to another guy. But I want you to experience high school and that's by going to dances. Sure I wish I could go with you but the school won't allow it. Just go have a great time and tell me about it when you get home *hugs her*

*8 pm at the Matthews apartment. Riley and the gang are at the dance and Josh is hanging out with Topanga*
Topanga: okay I want the honest truth Josh *looks at him with her lawyer face on*
Josh: the truth about what Pangers? *snickers at Eric's nickname for Topanga*
Topanga: *rolls her eyes at being called Pangers* about Maya going to the dance with Zay. I know you told her it didn't bother you but I know it is.
Josh: *sighs deeply* of course it bothers me. The girl I love is out with another guy right now. I wish I could go but Cory told Maya that the school doesn't allow students from other schools that are above the age of 18. So I couldn't take her. I want her to experience high school without me holding her back.
Topanga: well I know for a fact that Maya is not going to have the best homecoming dance experience *looks at Josh's confused face* no matter what she tells you tonight, she wishes it was you she was dancing with. She would rather go to these events with you but now that she knows you won't ever be allowed to 'cause of that ridiculous rule, she's going to want to skip every one of them.
Josh: I don't want her to do that though. I don't want her to look back on high school and see all the things she missed because she wanted to be with me. I can't let her do that.
Topanga: I know you won't let her but the thing is, this is Maya we're talking about here. She's going to make her own decisions no matter what we tell her. You can tell her all you want to not skip these dances but we both know how incredibly stubborn she is.
Josh: *smiles* I love that she's stubborn. I love that she'll be keeping me on my toes. I don't want a girl that is crazy predictable. I want Maya. Topanga is there a way I can get the school to change their rule about out of school dates?
Topanga: *smirks* go to the superintendent and talk to him.
Josh: the superintendent? Wait isn't that Jonathan Turner? Uncle Jon?
Topanga: *smiles* yup. Give him a call. Maybe he can change the rule.
Josh: thanks Topanga. I'll go call him right now *gets up and starts dialing the number*
Topanga: *mutters under her breath* he'll do anything for Maya. This is the guy Maya needs.
Josh: *walks back in the room* I called him.
Topanga: and?
Josh: *smiles* and he said he's going to tell the principal to change the rule so that students can take anyone to a school event as long as they tell the administration a week in advance of who they're taking so that they can check the people to see if it's appropriate. Like all Maya would need to tell them is my name and that I go to NYU. Then they'll call NYU and ask to see my file. If I check out, I can go. So much better than the old rule.
Topanga: Maya is going to be happy when you tell her.
Josh: the thing is that now she's going to say no to any boy who asks her because she'll want to go with me.
Topanga: she'd much rather look back on high school and remember going with her true love than going with insignificant boys. You two have a special thing. Trust me, if you do end up going to every dance with her, you'll look back one day and be thankful that you did.
Josh: you're right. What time does Maya get back? She said she'll dance with me when she gets home *chuckles*
Topanga: *looks at her watch* the dance started at 7 and now it's almost 9. So they'll be back any minute.
Josh: *gets up and rushes out of the room* I gotta go get dressed!
Topanga: *laughs* he's definitely a Matthews boy in love.