Chapter 19: Junior Prom

*its May of Riley and Maya's junior year. It's prom!*
Maya: *climbs through Riley's window* hey Riles do you have my prom dress?
Riley: *smiles* of course peaches! It's in my closet *opens her closet and pulls out Maya's prom dress*

 It's prom!*Maya: *climbs through Riley's window* hey Riles do you have my prom dress?Riley: *smiles* of course peaches! It's in my closet *opens her closet and pulls out Maya's prom dress*

Maya: *holds her dress and smiles* I love it just as much as I did when we bought it last month.
Riley: I'm so excited to go to prom with Lucas! Are you sure you don't want to ask my Uncle Josh to take you? I'm sure he'd be happy to take you! *smiles*
Maya: you know I'd love to go to prom with him but we're not together. We're still playing the long game. I'm only 17 and I know he'll wait until I'm 18 before we even discuss if we're going to try dating *smiles sadly* plus I already have a date for tonight. [in chapter 18 I said she's going to turn 18 in junior year, but I changed my mind so disregard that. She'll turn 18 during senior year]
Riley: I just don't have a good feeling about Mark [made him up!]. I'm afraid you'll get hurt.
Maya: *hugs Riley* don't worry honey. I will be fine. Maybe next year I'll be able to go to prom with Josh. For now I'll have to be okay with Mark.

*time skip to when the girls are ready and waiting for Lucas and Mark*
Maya: *fidgeting with her dress*
Riley: oh will you stop! You look incredible *smiles*
Maya: I know but I just am nervous. Maybe I should've asked Josh *looks down and hears the doorbell* that's probably the boys.
Riley: *opens the door to see Lucas and Josh* hi Lucas! Hey Uncle Josh! Where's Mark?
Josh: *walks in and his jaw drops when he sees Maya* you look beautiful Maya!
Maya: *blushes* thank you Josh. What are you doing here?
Josh: well I have a surprise for you. I'll be at your prom as a chaperone *smiles*
Maya: awesome! *smiles and notices Mark isn't here* where's Mark?
Lucas: I don't know. He text me earlier telling me not to pick him up on my way over like we planned.
Riley: well call him! Get him here now *frowns and looks at Maya*
Lucas *goes into the other room to call Mark*
Josh: who's Mark? *voice cracks*
Maya: he's just this guy from school who asked me to prom *smiles* long game?
Josh: *smiles* always long game.
Riley: I wish you two could be together now *smirks*
Maya: not yet. Someday isn't here yet *looks down*
Lucas: *comes back into the room* well I talked to Mark. Looks like he's not going to prom.
Maya: what? He's the one who asked me! *tries to control her anger*
Lucas: it was a dare. His friends dared him to ask you and then stand you up. I'm sorry Maya.
Josh: what a jerk. Maya you don't deserve him. You deserve a guy who'll keep his word *hugs her*
Maya: I don't even like him all that much. I'm fine *hugs him back* I have my eye on someone else *smirks*
Josh: *smiles* Maya may I be your date to your prom?
Maya: *beams* yes Josh. I'd love that!
Josh: *smirks* let's go then. You're so gorgeous ferret.
Maya: *blushes* you look pretty handsome in that tux *winks*

*at prom*
Farkle: *dancing with Smackle* I really wish Josh would just ask Maya out already. Why can't they see that they're so in love?
Smackle: *smiles* I don't know the answer to that hun. I wish Maya could be as happy as us and Lucas and Riley. But I believe in dreamboat's words. Their someday is going to happen.

*meanwhile with Rucas*
Lucas: *dancing with Riley* I want to know what you really think about Josh and Maya.
Riley: *smiles* I love my uncle and I love Maya. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the idea when we were 13 but now... I want them both to be happy. I want Peaches to be happy with my uncle. I'll never call her my aunt. I love the idea of Joshaya now. I'm always the one with hope. And I have a lot of hope and faith in them. If their someday doesn't come, I'm kicking Josh's butt *chuckles*
Lucas: *laughs* that would be a sight to see. I'm glad you opened yourself to the idea of Joshaya because it's going to happen. Maybe not tonight but I'm sure it'll happen soon.

*with Joshaya*
Josh: *dancing with Maya* you're incredible Maya. How are you so good at dancing?
Maya: *smiles* you don't remember? The summer after we met when I came back to Philly, your mom signed us up for dance classes *laughs* I was your partner 'cause then we were the same height.
Josh: *laughs* now I remember! You were always a fiery spirit. I've always liked that about you. But that was nearly a decade ago. You still remember the steps?
Maya: *blushes* I do. I forced myself to remember because I swore to myself that I'd dance with you again when we were older.
Josh: *twirls her around* well here we are dancing together again. It feels right *kisses her forehead*
Maya: it does. Everything has felt right with you. When everyone told me that I needed to get over you, I could never see why. I always had this gut feeling that we'd be together because it always felt right *smiles*
Josh: someday is so close Maya. Don't lose hope.
Maya: hope is not for suckers anymore Josh. I know that now because of you *smiles* someday is going to happen. I still don't know when. But it'll happen.
Josh: would now be a good time to say how I feel or would it be too cliche? *blushes*
Maya: *bites her lip* say it.
Josh: I love you Maya *whispers in her ear giving her chills*
Maya: *smiles* and I love you *kisses his cheek* now answer me this: how did you manage to be a chaperone?
Josh: who do you think I talked to? *smirks*
Joshaya: Cory.
Maya: I'm glad you did!
Josh: junior year is almost over and then you have one year left. Excited?
Maya: yes. But I'm more excited for someday *winks*
Josh: I know you are. I am too.
Maya: you already have it planned don't you? *looks at him suspiciously*
Josh: *feigns innocence* what do I have planned?
Maya: *rolls her eyes* you planned out how you're going to start someday didn't you?
Josh: *laughs* I wouldn't say I planned it. I have a general idea on when it'll happen. But before you ask, I'm not telling you.
Maya: *pouts* poo! Is it going to be on my 18th birthday?
Josh: I'm not telling you. It's a surprise ferret. So don't bother guessing because I won't tell you.
Maya: fine. By the way I sent in my application to NYU. I should hear back when I start senior year.
Josh: *stops dancing* you applied to NYU? *smiles* that's great! You better call me when you get the letter.
Maya: you'll be the first one I call *smiles* thank you for being my date Josh.
Josh: it was my pleasure Maya. I couldn't let you miss prom because of that jerk. Plus it gave me a reason to admire your beauty *smiles*
Maya: you are sweet boing.
Josh: you want to come over after we leave here? You can spend the night.
Maya: what about Shawn? I don't think he'd be okay with that.
Josh: I cleared it with him before we left *smiles*
Maya: then I'd love to.

*after prom in Josh's apartment*
Maya: *comes out of the bathroom in her pajamas* tell me why you had my pjs here? *raises an eyebrow*
Josh: I got them from Riley and kept them here in case there was ever a time you needed to spend the night. If you look under the sink you'll find a toothbrush and other necessities for you.
Maya: *smiles and hugs him* thanks boing. I appreciate that.
Josh: *holds her close* anything for you ferret *sits on the couch and pulls her onto his lap* you belong here with me.
Maya: *smiles* I do? *wraps her arms around his neck*
Josh: *looks at her lips and then her eyes* you do *captures her lips in a kiss pouring out his love*
Maya: *kisses him back and runs her fingers through his hair*
Josh: *pulls back and looks at her* why is it I can never get enough of you when we kiss?
Maya: it's because we're Josh and Maya. We're meant for each other *kisses him* we know we are.
Josh: I know *kisses her collarbone* it's hard for me to stop myself sometimes but if I ever go too far, stop me.
Maya: look at me Josh *lifts his head* you aren't going too far *smiles*
Josh: ready for bed? We had a long night of dancing.
Maya: carry me? *pouts*
Josh: of course *picks her up and she wraps her legs around his waist as he carries her to his bedroom*

That's the end of this chapter. Next chapter will be jumping to the beginning of senior year when the gang gets their college acceptance letters! Will Maya get into NYU? Will Riley? Find out in chapter 20! Don't forget to vote and comment 😘