Chapter 8

COMPLETE. SWEET. HUNIE PIES.^

***

We washed away the pains of yesterday and you had run so very far away from here
My eyes, they watched you go and all I know is that I never wanna feel the same again
Do you think we could find our way back home?

-Way Back Home; Mako

It was all wrong.

Everything.

The night hadn't ended at all like it should have.

It may not have been too big a deal, but Sugawara thought otherwise.

How could that happen?

How did he come to say that?

Why didn't Sugawara have a single acceptable word of defence.

It was so tense.

Sure they both pretended it didn't happen.

But it did.

The question had been asked.

Daichi was allowed to have his suspicions.

Sugawara was allowed to have privacy.

But that's not how love works.

You share your life with them, you tell them things you wouldn't tell anyone else, you let them see parts of you that no one else would, physical and emotional.

Daichi did that, he showed Sugawara as much of him as dared.

But Sugawara didn't.

Daichi had a right to question if Sugawara liked him, or was just...

Well, he's not there yet.

It had been a week since the festival. A week of tension. Choppy conversation, no time at Sugawara's apartment, loose kisses with obvious questions lingering at the very lips touching Sugawara's.

He hadn't been to practice in a while. He was obviously invited by Ukai-san and others, but he turned them down with false truths. The real truth, however, was that he was worried of how to talk to Daichi.

He was so worried.

Daichi was completely understanding that night, but he was also hurt. By Sugawara. And he knows that. Sugawara knows that he hurt Daichi, even if Daichi didn't show it, or he didn't intend to. He just did, because he was selfish, and afraid, and felt vulnerable.

For the past week, Daichi put up a front. He was okay on the inside, just... okay. Everything he said before he asked the lingering question, was true. In fact, those words weren't enough. He wanted more time, he wanted to say more, say how much Sugawara has affected him in the best way possible over the past months.

But he had suspicions.

Daichi was the kind of person that opened up to someone after he felt that he was trusted, and he could trust the other. He felt that.

He felt at home around Sugawara. So he told him about his tough mother, the things that stressed him, things he didn't like, things he loved, insecurities he had, about his family and childhood. He told him about his fears, about the things he wanted to protect in life, things he wanted to accomplish. He was comfortable enough in his apartment, and being around him, that he could completely make himself at home and lounge around shirtless and in shorts. He let Sugawara initiate kisses and touch him as he pleased. He gave him sides of him that no one else saw, because he was falling in love.