Chapter 13

You said you're embarrassed of your body
You told me you think you're really ugly
Well my love, I know you don't see, what I see
Anything that is beautiful, people want to break
And you are beautiful, I'm afraid

-Ugly; Nicole Dollaganger
[credits to @Ashicornn for telling me about this wonderful song, it fits almost painstakingly perfectly to who I made Suga out to be in this fic, props to you girl]

"It was completely unexpected, and completely stupid, if it had to happen, it shouldn't have happened like that."

Sugawara sat with legs folded, his back against the corner of the sofa. Daichi sat similarly across him, their knees bumping as they spoke in hushed undertones, as if speaking at normal volume would upset the soft candles.

"I didn't realize fires could start that carelessly." Daichi replied.

"I'm home!" Sugawara called to the air. He slid off his shoes and shrugged off the book bag similarly. Once he was standing straight again, he caught whiff of the wonderful aroma wafting from the kitchen. "What are you making mom?" He asked a bit quieter this time as he made his way there.

"A little chicken." She stated, matter-of-factly, like it was completely normal.

"Little?" Sugawara questioned jokingly, chuckling.

Maeno looked offended. "Yes little. I was in the store and there was this small chicken that looked perfect for two, so I bought it, be grateful we won't be having leftovers tomorrow." She explained, pulling off the apron and wiping her hands on a towel. "Now tell me why you're still all the way over there, isn't there something you're forgetting?" She beckoned with words.

Sugawara only laughed, stepping forward and leaning down so she could leave a kiss on his forehead.

"Ahh, you're too tall now, why'd you grow so much Koushi, a mother needs to kiss her child comfortably." She said, wrinkling her nose.

"I'm not tall mom, everyone on the team is taller than me, even some of the first years." He defended, walking to the living to drop to the couch. It was already dark out and the curtains were shut in front of him. There were five blue candles lit, illuminating the small room. He closed his eyes and took a breath, taking in that familiar 'middle of a winter night' aroma they gave off.

It smelled like home.

"Well you're too tall for me." She huffed, flopping down right beside him.

He turned to the side and looked at her, soft, full features, hint of a smile, silver hair that glinted in the candle-light as if it were melting silver itself. He gave her a little knowing smile. "Not tall enough that I can't do this..." He muttered, then he slouched, leaning his head down on his mothers' shoulder, closing his tired eyes after a long day.

He could feel the smile coming off her, and she sat up a bit straighter to make him more comfortable. "Don't fall asleep before dinner okay?" She whispered, secretly extremely proud to let him taste her new recipe.

"I won't... but we haven't sat like this in a while, so don't leave right now, I miss you..." He felt one of her slim arms maneuver behind his back as she got comfortable. Even though he couldn't see it, she smiled wider as she closed her eyes and dropped her head onto his, remembering the familiar feeling of holding the same boy when he was younger. 

That was the last night the loving mother and son would be together.

"The fire happened that night?" Daichi asked, tracing his long fingers on the hand that sat in his lap.