sit in silence

My life started on a quiet, mid-autumn Sunday morning. I was eating cereal; still dressed in my pyjamas and half-asleep: Voice husky and breath slightly visible in the cool air.
The birds outside were chirping unbeknownst to the noisy town around them and the people of the city were loud with a voice of character. I then heard a hesitant knock on the door.
"He's here," I mumbled to myself, almost spilling the milk as I stumbled lazily towards the door.
A tall boy with shaggy brown hair and hazel nut eyes politely waited outside clad in an almost excessive amount of black.
I unlocked the door, which took a moment since I had five locks, and opened it, allowing the outside breeze flow refreshingly into my apartment.

"Hi, I'm Dan. Your new housemate."

"Hey, nice to meet you. I'm Phil, come inside. Sorry for the mess, by the way. As you can see, I just woke up about 20 minutes ago." He was tall, maybe taller than me, and I stood at about 6'2.
I led him in to the kitchen, wincing at the appearance of the house. I had forgotten to clean last night before he came, but I was too busy watching anime.
"How old are you, by the way?" I asked him, hoping to put him at ease. The poor guy seemed extremely nervous.

"I just turned 18." He offered me a shy smile, which lit up his face.

"Oh cool, I'm 22." We sat down at the table, and I regretfully glanced at my now-soggy cereal.

"Sorry for turning up early by the way."

"Oh, it's alright. I got up too late, anyways." There was an awkward pause. Dan was clearly struggling for something to say, "So, do you want me to show you your room?"

"Yeah, sure."

Dan's room was at the end of the hall, close to mine, "We have to share a bathroom, unfortunately," I explained, "Sorry, mate."
My northern accent could very clearly be heard as I said it.
Dan looked quickly up at me and then back at the ground. "Oh, no problem. I'm just glad I found a flatmate."

"Better me than a serial killer, right?" I joked, hoping to lighten the mood and make the obviously nervous Dan feel more comfortable.
He grinned, making a dimple on his cheek appear, and I could see some of the tension leaving his shoulders. "I suppose. I'm not in the habit of keeping a weapon under my pillow." Thank goodness he had a sense of humor.

"Do you want some help moving your things in?" I offered, not wanting to watch the guy struggle while I ate cereal and continued to watch the anime from last night; Yuri!!! On Ice.

"Oh, you don't have to-I don't have that much stuff anyway."

I shrugged. "Okay. Just ask if you need help." It turned out that Dan Howell wasn't really the 'asking for help' type. I could see him straining to lift his dresser, dragging it through the hall so awkwardly that it made me fear for my walls, "Hey, here, Let me help you."

His face was red, and he gratefully jerked his head in appreciation. We struggled through the hallway, trying to support the heavy dresser. Finally, we stopped at Dan's room, "Wow, what's in there, rocks?"

Dan smiled awkwardly. "No." It was silent and I cursed the lack of things I had to say, "You can go finish up breakfast, Phil. I'm okay here."

"Oh, are you sure?"

"Yeah, go ahead." I sighed, walking slowly back to the kitchen. Hopefully we could dissolve this tension, or it would be an awkward few years until one of us moved out.

.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Short Chapter- Sorry