E I G H T

"Phil, can I talk to you about something?" Dan asked, looking nervous and twisting his hands together. Shit. Oh God, he's going to move out. And I'll never see him again. And— "I think I'm going to drop out of university."
I could have cried with relief, but then his words hit me. "D-drop out of uni? Why?"
Dan sat down on the couch next to me. "I've just been feeling-I dunno, sort of trapped lately. Like—like law is my only option, and I don't even like it all that much. And I kind of hate uni."
I looked at him, his agonized and anxious face. "Dan... I'll support you no matter what, and you know that. Have you really, really thought about this?"
"Yes." His answer was immediate. "Trust me, I have. And you're the first person I've told."
I smiled slightly. "I'm honored."
He relaxed a little bit, and I could see the tension leaving his shoulders. "Do you think my parents will be angry?"
"I think they'll be shocked, maybe disappointed, but I think they'll ultimately support your decision."
Dan met my eyes. "Thank you, Phil," he said seriously. "Really."
"I'll always be here for you."
We sat together, silent but not uncomfortably so. The quiet wrapped around us like a warm blanket, shielding us from the rest of the world. I swung myself onto the couch and shifted around until my back rested on Dan's legs. Even though they were kind of bony, they were oddly comfortable.
"Phil," Dan eventually said.
"Yeah?"
"My legs are going numb."
I grinned and turned round to face him again. "Sorry."
"All good." Dan stood up. "I can order a pizza," he offered.
"Do that. Hey, how about we have a game night? Just us, to celebrate."
He looked confused. "Celebrate what? Me dropping out of school to become a hobo and living in my best friend's house for the rest of my life?"
A little ball of sunlight burst in my chest, spreading to every part of my body, "Exactly."
"Cool." He was already dialing on his phone, unaware of the emotions flooding through me. He had finally officially called me his best friend. I had considered him to be mine, but I didn't think he considered me his. I mean, he probably had other friends, right? But now... I was happy.
I was so happy I could feel it lighting up my face and probably shining out of my eyes, "Phil? What toppings do you want?" Dan reappeared, holding the phone in his left hand.
"Anything is fine," I replied, still grinning like a maniac.
"Alright, olives it is."
Why was I so happy? He was my friend. I knew we were close. Why was I beaming like I'd just won the lottery? Huh. Maybe I'd just spent too much time by myself and latched on to the first human being that came through my door. The pizza came, and I wafted the heavenly smell to me. We set up everything we'd need for a
game night: food, caffeine, and tons of video games. Dan and I plopped onto the couch, slippers on and curtains drawn.
"First game?" I asked.
He gave me a sly smirk. "Mario."
I rolled my eyes. "Oh, God."

It was on.