T E N

"Hey, Phil." Charlie approached with a hesitant smile on his face. "What's up?"
Shit. Oh, God. I was covered in grime and dust and my perfectly pristine boyfriend was at my work. Oh my God. I sprang up to my feet and tried to brush off the dirt; And as if the world was completely against me, I was unsuccessful.
"Um, you know, just digging a monkey grave," I said, motioning to the trench behind me. The sun was beating down by this point, an uncommonly hot day in June. Luckily, I had put a ton of extra-strength sun cream on beforehand, so my skin wouldn't burn. However, it offered no
protection from sweat, and I could feel my shirt sticking to my body.
"Oh, cool."
"So, what are you doing here on this glorious day?" I asked.
"Viewing the views, seeing the sights."
"Really?"
He laughed and knocked me with his shoulder. "No, I'm visiting you, dummy."
I blushed. "Oh."
"By the way, you look hot as hell in that zookeeper outfit," he remarked.
I was bright red by this point. "Thanks...But I should really get back to..." I motioned to the grave behind me.
He scoffed and took my sweaty hand. "Oh come on, let's leave," he urged, "Right now. Go out, have a date."
"I can't, I'm sorry, I have to finish."
"Aw, man. Then how about tonight? Let's go out tonight," he wheedled, actually kind of annoying me. It was strange how the tables had turned. Ordinarily, I'd be the one asking him on a date, hoping he wouldn't turn me down. Times had changed. I felt a bit powerful, to be honest. It was nice to
finally be in control of the relationship.
I was going to cave and accept the offer, but then I remembered something, and almost smacked myself in the face. It was Dan's birthday today, and even though he'd gone on and on about how much he didn't want me to do anything, I could sense the yearning inside him for a big fuss. I mean, who knew him better than I? Sure, he'd only moved in about 10 months ago, but we'd already developed a pretty deep bond between us. So I called Louise a few weeks ago, and she was going to bring some of Dan's friends and we'd have a little party for him.
"I'm sorry, Charlie, but I can't," I said, putting on my most regretful face, "It's Dan's birthday tonight." A strange expression crossed his face, almost like... jealousy?
"Fine, okay. Have fun at Dan's birthday." He drew emphasis on the word dan. He walked away, and I could tell he was pissed. Whatever. I'd deal with the fallout later. For now, I had to finish digging this monkey grave and drive home so that I could set up. This was going to be fun.

----------
A/N:

*HOPE YOU LIKE IT. It's short, I know, sorry

*please like, comment and share, your voice is greatly appreciated!

*till next time...