amazing that we got this far

It was our second week living together, and it was still awkward. I decided to form a plan, "Hey, Dan." I popped my head into his room after knocking.

"Oh, hey. What's up?" He closed his laptop and looked at me.

"I'm having a sort of party tonight, and I was wondering-"

"Oh, okay. I can leave, stay over at someone's house."

"If you wanted to join us?" Cue awkward silence.

"Uh, sure. Sure, that's really nice of you." He seemed a little flustered.

"You can invite people. It's your flat as well as mine."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Okay." We stared at each other for a moment.

"I'm gonna go..."

"See you." He promptly returned to browsing. I shook my head and left the room. Hopefully this party would liven him up a bit.

...

It was 9 pm and people were starting to trickle in, "Phil!"

"Hey, Zoe. Nice blouse!"

"Oh thank you! Got it this morning." She really was adorable, kissing me on the cheek and moving away to talk to other people. Dan still wasn't out of his room, so I went to check on him. To my surprise, he was just walking out, dressed in black skinny jeans, Converse, and a fresh black T-shirt. He saw me and was startled.

"Hey, Phil. Just, you know, going to the party." I smiled.

"Good."

"And also, I invited a few people, is that okay?"

"Oh, no problem." We were so cordial and polite with each other that it made me cringe. Back in the living room, my friends were already breaking out the alcohol.
Dan was actually mingling. I was surprised. He looked like he was having a good time, too. I went over and tapped him on the shoulder, "Dan! Let me introduce you to Cat." I had been planning this, thinking that they would hit it off, "Cat! Come over here for a mo'."

Cat walked over, looking pretty in a gray dress and red lipstick. "Great party, Phil. And who's this?" She was definitely interested.

"This is Dan, he just moved in with me."
I saw a fleeting look of disappointment cross her face, then she smiled brightly at me. "Awesome! How long have you two been together?" My face heated up. Shit, I should have definitely phrased that differently. Dan looked at me,
confusion written all over his face.

"Cat, we're not, you know... together." I explained, glancing at Dan apologetically.
Dan blushed, finally getting it. Cat looked back and forth between us.

"Oh, I'm really sorry. My mistake."

"No problem," Dan spoke up. Cat focused on him, interest rekindled.

"Well, I should probably get to know you a little more,since you're Phil's new housemate." I smirked at him and moved away, leaving them to their conversation. Dan had game, apparently, and was pretty attractive, if I must say. He'd go well with Cat. The doorbell rang, and I jumped up to get it, heart thumping. I hoped it was him.

"Phil!" It was him.

"Hey, Charlie." Charlie was my sort-of boyfriend. Not super official, but just enough to call it a relationship. He came inside, surveyed the party, and went straight for the booze. I grinned.

"Here you go." He was back, handing a glass of whiskey to me.

"Thanks." I looked down into his hazel eyes. Charlie was shorter than me, but only by a few inches. He leaned forward and kissed me hard on the mouth. His tongue tasted like mint. When we pulled
away, I remembered, "I have to introduce you to someone." I pulled him by the hand, over to Dan and Cat, still talking.

"Charlie!" Cat broke off her sentence, eyes sparkling. "I had no idea you and Phil were still-" I cut her off with a shake of the head, and she got the message, "Anyway, this is Dan, Phil's new flatmate."

"Just to help with the rent," I explained.

"And Dan, this is Charlie, my... um,"

"His boyfriend," Charlie interrupted, grinning. I choked, shocked, and turned to look at him, "What? I assumed."
I shook my head, smiling widely. "Okay." Dan watched this exchange with round eyes. Charlie pulled my face closer and started to kiss me, again. With everyone watching.

I drew away quickly. "It's too public!" I hissed quietly. "Later."

He raised his eyebrows and took my hand, "Okay." I looked at Dan. He was chatting with Cat, oblivious to my discomfort. I let Charlie pull me into the kitchen, and I tore my eyes away.

"Hey." He was really close. Really handsome.

"Hey." I took a deep breath. "I... didn't know you considered me a boyfriend."
Charlie looked confused. "Obviously you are, though."

I shrugged. "Okay. Well, that's good, because I really like you." He half-smiled, and it was cute, not going to lie.

"Yeah." Charlie chuckled, and took another swig from his glass. The mood was only heightened by the sight of Cat pulling Dan into a dark closet. It was beginning to be a good night.