2.8

July 25th, 2016 - Settling plans.

Luke: ok skype me

Luke: my skype is Hemmo96

Teni: who says i wanna skype you?

Luke: you did

Luke: like 100 times yesterday

Teni: yeah but i don't talk to assholes :)

Luke: c'mon don't be like this

Teni: be like what? 

Luke: salty

Teni: die

Luke: please, Ten. just skype me and I'll explain everything

* * *

I waited two hours before even considering the Skype call, just to ensure that he'd have to stay up late in order to talk to me. Half of me didn't care to hear what he had to say, whereas the other half wanted to know exactly what happened. It was so unlike him to act like that that I didn't know what to think or how to feel. The only thing I knew for certain was that boys were dumb and not worth my time. Period.

Eventually, as the little hand on my clock neared nine, I pulled my laptop across my lap and opened it, reluctantly typing Luke's username into the Skype search bar. Within two minutes of adding him, he had added me back and requested to video chat. I sighed and accepted the call, leaning back against my mountain of pillows as he buffered on my screen.

"Teni," he breathed, nervously running his hands through his messy hair. "I didn't think you were going to call."

A wave of unfamiliar emotions washed over me as I stared at his image. Deep, purple circles rested beneath his eyes and his hair clearly hadn't been washed in days, let alone combed. He sat on the floor of a hotel room, the massive white bed sheets serving as his background. I took note of the five empty water bottles resting around him. He didn't just look tired, he looked absolutely miserable. "Me neither," I replied, swallowing the guilt that rose in my throat. 

An awkward pause of silence settled between us and the obvious tension grew even stronger.

Luke coughed hard, leaning away from his computer as he did so. I bit my tongue and glanced around my small room in an attempt to look busy and uninterested. 

"I can come to Australia. To visit, I mean."

Luke nodded, swinging his arm in front of his face to cough into his elbow. He held up one shaky, slender finger to excuse himself. I watched in annoyance as he stood up and retrieved a water bottle from somewhere out of the frame. "About that," he started before taking a long swig of his drink, "you can only stay for four days."

I choked, blinking rapidly in disbelief. "I'm sorry, four days?!"

"Yeah, I just found out last night that my family wanted this to be exclusively a family thing. I'm really, really sorry."

I sat up straight and turned away from my computer, momentarily focusing on my dog sleeping on the end of my bed. Ungratefulness had always been a huge pet peeve of mine. As someone who could understand struggle and loss, I despised when other's couldn't deal with the most minuscule disappointments. But something about this felt different. What happened to him? We finally have a chance to meet up for the first time in ten years and he cuts the stay from two weeks to four days? 

"Luke," I started, "I can't afford a two way plane ticket just to spend 96 hours in Australia."

He waved his hands frantically, immediately shutting me up. "I'll pay for absolutely everything. All you have to do is pack your things and get on the plane. I'll cover all of the expenses, I swear. You can stay at my house or something. I already told you this."

"Luke, come on."

He shook his head. "Teni, this is too important to me. You are too important to me. Please, I am begging you. Just come visit. I need you here right now."

I licked my lips and lowered my eyes in thought. "What's going on, Luke? You haven't been yourself."

"I was just, I don't know, anxious to relay the bad news I guess. Everything will be fine though. I just need you to agree to this. Please."

Never in my life had a guy seemed so distraught and desperate while talking to me. Typically, I would press more into the issue until I could fully understand the problem. However, something about this entire situation seemed off. Luke was obviously stressed, and whether it be the tour or some mysterious, unknown cause, I didn't want to make anything worse. My heart sank into my stomach as I opened my mouth to reply.

"Okay, I'll come."

* * *

@luke_is_a_penguin tweeted: Oh my GOD

* * *

this story is finishing soon I don't care if I have to update 100 times today it's happening

sorry ive been dead i am no longer dead i am just super stressed and i put off writing when im stressed but writing makes me less stressed so do u see the issue

tell me about ur day!! ive been upset bc ios10 doesnt auto capitalize "I"

have a good day night evening morning afternoon and midnight snack