3.9

August 6th, 2016 - Day 2.

When I was seven, my parents went on a cruise to the Bahamas and sent me to spend the week with my hillbilly relatives in America. Aunt Carol, a wide woman with a glass eye and a drinking problem, insisted that I learn the ways of the farmland, seeing as I was 'nearly a woman'. She introduced me to each animal as if they were real people whom I must impress, particularly when she reached Candie, the pregnant cow and most exciting thing for three miles. Candie, Carol explained, was due to give birth nearly five days before I arrived. I smiled, nodded, and promptly moved on to meet the band of chicken sisters in the coop next door.

Halfway through my stay, I had the scarring opportunity to witness Candie push her baby out. Several neighbors came by bearing gifts and congratulating us as if a real child had been born, and my job was to greet each guest at the front door and update them on the status of the baby. Then Aunt Carol made me watch as calf stumbled around a few hours after birth.

"Go ahead, you can name it," she whispered, patting me on the shoulder.

Perhaps naming a newborn cow wouldn't have been so disturbing if I hadn't watched it wiggle its way out of its mother, but nonetheless, I pursed my lips in deep thought. It tottered and tripped its way through the pen, occasionally swaying dangerously to one side before barely managing to regain its balance.

"Wobbly," I said.

Looking back, I realize I should've named it Luke on Ice Skates, because they were practically the exact same sight. 

He had insisted that he knew a quiet place where we could ice skate indoors, free of the troubling press that may follow him around. Of course, this meant using his best friend's employee cards to borrow two pairs of skates and unlock the backdoor, which was most definitely considered trespassing. Nevertheless, I agreed, eager to participate in such a familiar activity and completely oblivious to Luke's crippling inability to skate.

He made exaggerated noises as he struggled to keep himself moving on the deserted ice rink, flailing his arms as if it could stop him from falling. I whizzed past him with graceful ease, making sure to stick my tongue out as I did so.

"This is the last time I'm ever breaking into an ice rink with you!" Luke shouted, ending the statement by falling flat on his ass.

I shrugged, cutting across the middle to help him get back on his feet. He held on to me for a second, leaning in slowly to press a delicate kiss to my lips before hurriedly skating in the opposite direction.

"I'll race ya!" he shouted, awkwardly hobbling away.

I gave him a five second head start, picking at a hangnail in the meantime. Luke just taunted me from the other side of the rink, barely moving fast enough to get any kind of lead. It took a few effortless strides to match his pace.

"Slow down, Lightning McQueen," I joked, tugging at his sleeve to grab his attention. "You're going to hurt yourself."

Luke pouted and folded his arms across his broad chest as I slowly glided beside him. "How are you so damn good at this?"

I laughed, finding his warm hand and intertwining our fingers. "I played hockey as a kid. There was no girls league in my county so I was the only girl in an all boys hockey league. It definitely made me a tougher person."

The lanky blonde boy made a terrified groan as he began to lose his footing, desperately grabbing at my hands and clothes in an attempt to keep him up. I calmly helped him steady himself, the circled him once just to tease him.

"Fuck you," he said, focusing his attention to the ice beneath him. "This is fucking impossible."

"No it's easy," I reassured him, moving to skate backwards in front of him. "Center your balance between your two feet, then bend your legs slightly and lean to your left foot and push back with your right. Now gently shift your weight to you right foot and push with your left. It's not that hard if you can move your body side to side like that. Take my hands and try it."

Luke shot me an uncertain look, but his blue eyes still twinkled in the dim rink. I could physically feel him channeling all of his attention to his balance until he eventually began to move smoothly. His face glowed with joy.

"I'm doing it, Teni! I'm not on my ass!"

I snorted, helping him round the corner before joining him at his side again. "Look at you go. You're practically a professional."

He turned to face me, a grin growing across his pale skin. Without warning, he reached behind me and pulled me closer, leaning down to kiss me. I barely could register what had happened before Luke passionately moved his lips in sync with mine, turning a chaste peck into a full fledged make out session in the middle of an ice skating rink. I gently wrapped one arm behind his neck, which proved to be a bad idea. My foot slid behind me and I toppled onto Luke. We both fell on the ice, his arms instinctively wrapped around my waist.

"Jesus, Ten, do I need to teach you how to skate?" he joked on the ground, picking a piece of the frozen water from my hair. "I'm sorry if this is random, but you are so beautiful."

I smiled, rolling over so I could sit upright and leaning forward to ruffle his unruly blonde hair. "Thanks for making this the best vacation ever."

Luke moved in and placed a slow but meaningful kiss on my lips. "Thanks for making me the happiest I've been in a long while."

* * *

@luke_is_a_penguin tweeted: I have bruises on my ass. Don't ass.

* * *

oh you best believe i ordered a total plot shitstorm with premium shipping. should be here in two chapters or so :) prepare

thought this was cute!! the writing isn't spectacular but i like the idea

got any halloween plans? i'm going to a party this weekend but thats it

have a super day/night my friends