4.3

August 7th, 2016 - Sorry, I'm into women.

I'd never worn so many sparkles in my entire life.

Celeste had generously donated one of her nicest dresses to a good cause: me, in complete distress due to the lack of an outfit to go clubbing in. It was the kind of dress I'd look at in a store and imagine someone else purchasing, seeing as it fell low between my breasts and exposed a dramatic amount of skin. Gems glittered with every minuscule motion I made, ultimately drawing attention from anyone around me. I was completely unaccustomed to this kind of spotlight, though I didn't oppose it.

Luke released a long string of profane words upon seeing me hobble down the stairs in Celeste's three inch pumps. It vaguely resembled high school, when the goal was to astound my awkward date until he was at a loss for words. He took my delicate hand into his as I approached the last step, placing a swift kiss on my cheek before escorting me outside to the Uber patiently waiting for us.

The introductions with Calum were painfully brief. He gave a half-hearted wave and a nod of his stubbly chin before redirection his focus to Luke and their tour dates. I was isolated in the backseat while the boys talked quietly with each other just a foot in front of me. Although annoyance bubbled deep in my stomach, I minded my business and focused my attention on the scenery flying past. The sun had fallen below the horizon hours ago and the moon promptly took its place, glowing high about the city like a fresh ember from a recent fire. I felt oddly at peace, considering I was being thrown into a situation I'd never been in before.

Of course, my serenity was short-lived.

"Okay, Teni," Luke said, swinging his head around to face me as we pulled up to a long line of shivering strangers outside of the venue. A neon sign blinked periodically, flashing bright colors onto Luke's serious face. "We're going in through the back door to avoid people. Just hop into this queue and we'll see you inside."

I blinked, swallowing in disbelief and nervously unstrapping my seat belt. "Wait, I'm not going in with you?" I asked.

Luke shot me a shallow sympathetic look, shrugging slightly. "I don't want the paparazzi to exploit you like that. It's safer for you to go through general admissions."

"Tick tock," Calum sighed. "We don't have all night, Loverboy."

I furrowed my brows, fighting the anxiety coursing through my body. Luke yanked open the door to the van and practically pulled me out. I stood in the open doorway for a moment to stare back at the boys still in the safety of the vehicle. Goosebumps spread across my exposed skin as the chilly wind whipped past me.

"Teni, you're gonna be okay. We'll tell the owner to tell the bouncers that you're with us. They won't even care that you don't have your ID." Luke gave me a weak smile. "See you in a few, gorgeous."

With that, the Uber drove around the corner and I was alone in a short dress with a lot of emotions.

* * *

It took forty five minutes and one prolonged argument with a rather meathead-ish bouncer named Ralph before I could even enter the club. He had to radio the manager, who was a surprisingly frail man. He looked me up and down, tilting his head to one side before giving the bouncer the OK to let me in.

Inside, the intensity was overwhelming. People pushed past me to reach the designated dance floor a few yards away and the smell of stale liquor lingered in the dry air. I fought my way to the velvet rope in the corner labeled 'VIP' only to be stopped by yet another employee.

His bald head shined in the strobe lights and his bulky body moved one step closer to mine, blocking me off from the entrance. "Sorry, this area is reserved for invited guests only," he grunted.

"I'm here with Luke Hemmings, actually."

"I'm sure you are, little lady. The bar for teenagers is over there by the bathrooms."

I tried to peek around him but Luke was nowhere in sight. I called him twice and sent him three texts, trying desperately to push the defeated feeling out of my mind but it only grew stronger. An hour had passed since the last time I'd even heard from Luke and I had no place to go. I couldn't order drinks because I didn't bring my ID with me and I couldn't leave because I had absolutely no money. I was totally stranded.

I took a seat at the rickety table nearest to the VIP area, mentally berating myself for looking like such a loser. Men would periodically take the seat across from me and deliver a painfully cheesy pickup line, to which I'd smile and mumble, "Sorry, I'm into women." It seemed to be the only interesting thing I could do to preoccupy myself for the next hour, aside from wallowing in self-pity and cursing the dumb boy who had left me here.

"You're into women? That's awkward," a deep voice said behind me before Luke plopped down in the seat previously taken by some persistent asshole. He shot me a wide smile that slowly dissipated upon seeing my unamused facial expression. "What's wrong?"

I raised a brow. "Are you fucking serious right now? What's wrong?!" He blinked and lifted his left hand to chew on his fingernails. "I've been waiting for you for two hours now. Where the hell were you?"

"Look, Teni, I didn't mean to abandon you. Everything has been super wild and I was kind of in a bind. We can go get some drinks now and it'll all be okay. After all, they say liquor fixes everything."

"I want to go home."

Luke's face fell, but he nodded anyway. "Understandable. I'll call you an Uber."

I put my hand on the table, stopping him from fishing his phone from the pocket of his skinny jeans. "You mean you're not leaving with me?"

He looked sheepish; the blush crawling up his neck was even visible in the dim lighting of the club. "I really can't, Ten. I'm so sorry."

I rolled my eyes and stood up abruptly. "Whatever. I'll be fine on my own."

With that, I walked out.

* * *

hi im paige and im a piece of shit

hahahahahahaha id write more but i have an 8 page research paper due tomorrow that i havent started!! haha

anyway during my hiatus i turned seventeen and im starting to feel a little old for the fanfic life so i was wondering if any of you would read my stories if they were just teen fiction

okay hopefully ill update again this month i absolutely hate myself have a good day!!!!!!!!/night