Chapter 14

*MACIE'S POV*

When we got to the hospital, I parked in the ER lot and sprinted inside, Calum immediately behind me. I looked around, trying to find someone to help me find my brother. Calum took my hand and dragged me up to the front desk.

"Hi, uh, we're looking for Steven Miller, he had a, what was it Macie?"

"Peanut allergy, my aunt just called me, I'm his sister, I got here as quick as I could."

The woman blinked at me and I ran a hand through my hair, shaking it out. She told me to calm down and be patient as she looked for his file. I tapped my foot and Calum glanced at be worriedly. He shuffled closer and bumped me with his shoulder, giving me a small smile. I returned the gesture, but it didn't help with the unsettling feeling in my gut. I looked down at my phone, none of the texts going through to Sue. Suddenly the doors at the end of the corridor and Uncle George came barreling down the hallway. 

"Oh thank god you're here Macie," he said, resting his hand on my shoulder. "Steven is fine, he just had a brownie with nuts in it, even after we asked the chef about it too, unbelievable. His hives were really awful and he got sick. Anyway, we had to give him a lot of benadryl which made him pass out of course, while the restaurant called an ambulance. After ten minutes of waiting, Sue and I made the decision to drive him here ourselves and so we did that. He is awake now but he's resting. Sue is in there with him now, we texted you right after it happened, but no messages were going through-" he paused and noticed Calum for the first time, "Who's this?" 

I let out a loud sigh. A huge wave of relief rolled over me, but really? Steven's in the hospital and all my uncle cares about is who is standing next to me?

I rocked back on my heels, "George, you remember Alex right? My friend from Australia? Well, this is Alex."

George looked from me to Calum and back to me again. He leaned in to me, even though Calum could still hear him and whisper-shouted, "Isn't he from that band you're going bonkers about?" 

"Yes, but I'll explain that later," I responded, the panic coming back, "can we see Steven now?"

"You can, but he, can't," he motioned towards Calum.

"Go ahead, Macie, I understand you're worried, I'll just wait out here for you."

"Yeah, Mace, go ahead, I'll wait with your little Aussie friend, take your time," George gave me a reassuring smile. 

I bit my lip and looked between the two of them. Calum tried to mask his slight fear of George looming over him with concern for me and the situation. Finally I decided they'd be fine and I needed to Steven eventually and so I turned and walked off to Steven's room. 

When I opened the door, I saw Sue sitting beside Steven who was cuddling into his pillow smiling as she sang to him. 

"Hey I'm sorry it took so long for me to get here," I said to Sue, apologizing.

"It's fine sweetie, we're just glad you're here now, right Stevie?"

"Hey Mace," he said trying to sit up.

"Stay down there buddy," I raised my hands, "How're you feeling? Better I hope?"

"Yeah, I guess. I told Sue you didn't have to come. I know Alex is here and all, I didn't want to take you away from her, but Auntie Suey said it was okay to ask for you."

"Oh Stevie, it's fine Cal-" Sue glared at me, "Alex is waiting outside with Uncle George."

"Can I meet her after?"

Sue gave me another look, "I don't know, Alex has to fly out to California, so she may leave early."

"Oh okay," he frowned.