Chapter 18

*MACIE'S POV*

I woke up with the school nurse's face hovering above mine. Her foggy features cleared up as I blinked my eyes a few time. I tried to turn my head to see where I was, but she held my chin in place, shaking her own head. I then tried to lift my head to take a survey of my surroundings, but she lightly pressed down on my forehead and I quickly obeyed. 

"Macie," she said, once my eyes had adjusted to the searing light, "You passed out. You've only been out for about an hour. You didn't hit your head nor did you get hurt anywhere else."

I blinked a few more times before nodding slowly. The nurse helped me sit up and helped me to a glass of water. Mr. Sanders sat in the waiting chair near the door to the office and tapped his foot impatiently. The second he saw me, he stood and walked towards me. I gulped, unsure if I was ready to face the truth. 

"Macie," he said firmly, "Right before you passed out, you were about to tell me who did this."

"Oh give the girl a break," the nurse scowled at him, "She just woke up."

I shook my head, "No it's fine, I can tell him now."

Mr. Sanders looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I think it was Anthony Carlio. He goes to school in the next town over," the words burned my throat as they fell out. "He um," my mouth felt dry, "We had an issue about 2 weeks ago and he may still be mad about it."

Mr. Sanders nodded, "Okay, we will be in contact with his school immediately and sort this out. In the meantime, you've already been signed out and your aunt is here to take you home." 

She helped me gather my things and soon I was in the car with Aunt Sue.

"Do you think it was him?" She asked.

"Him who," I asked back, slightly aggravated that she was hinting at Calum again.

"I don't think it was Calum anymore, if that's why you're being snippy. He called while you were at school and seemed really concerned."

"Well I'm glad you finally believe me," I whispered back.

"Look Mace, I'm sorry I didn't believe you at first, but how could I? I mean he pretended to be a girl, I know his reasons now, but when you look at it. A kid from the other side of the world pretending to be a girl to get to know you? I mean it seemed sktechy and then this pops up. How could I not consider it?"

I rolled my eyes. "I just wish you would've believed me when I told you that's all."

She huffed, "You have every right to be mad at me, just please don't hold the grudge forever."

"I'll try not to," I mumbled, leaning my head against the window. 

- - - - - - - - -

I woke up the next day. Yeah, I was surprised I slept that long too. When I walked into the kitchen, I noticed the time. 

"It's 11 o'clock? Why didn't you wake me!? I'm late again," I yelled at Aunt Sue sitting at the kitchen counter.

"Relax Macie, the nurse wanted you to take a break day."

"But I- I have- I'm going to miss," I stuttered.

"Hun, you need this day off go back to bed."

I threw my hands in the air and huffed, "But I'm missing everything."

"Sweets, after everything that happened yesterday, we all agreed that you need a day to recollect."

My face fell and I realized I wasn't going to win this war. After grabbing the tea Sue made for me, I trudged back upstiars and climbed into bed. I didn't even bother with my phone. Aunt Sue was right, I needed a day to not think and relax and not be super duper stressed, but I just worried about the work I was missing. Eventually after continuous and tiring internal conflict, I fell asleep again.