Gabe's Game

"Why aren't you with the team?"  Brad asks Gabe as he walks over to us "Do you need something?"

"No."  He sits down "I'm not in the game so they said I don't have to sit there.  I can see better here."

"You aren't in the game?  Why?"  I get confused "You're one of their better players."

"Because I left practice early yesterday." 

"That's not fair."  Brad starts to get up "You missed like 10 minutes."

"Brad, sit down!"  I look over at Gabe "They told you before that if you miss you can't play in the next game.  Why did you leave early?"

"Maybe you should ask dad that." He glares over at Brad "He got me."

"Okay, so maybe I got bored of sitting here and we left a little early to get ice cream."  Brad admits "But I didn't get him in any trouble or anything."

"Yeah, you didn't get him in any trouble at all."

"Okay, fine.  I didn't get him in any legal trouble."  Brad says before Gabe cuts him off.

"Can we just watch?  I wanna know what they're doing incase I do get to play."

We stop talking and watch the game.  Gabe's team starts off good until they completely miss the ball.  A player from the other team kicks it straight down the field and right into the goal.

"He would have blocked that."  I whisper to Brad "It went right through that other kid's legs."

"I know."  Brad replies "That's the same kid who misses everything.  Remember last week when he didn't even notice the kid run up to him?"

I nod my head yes and go back to watching the game.  Gabe is really into it and keeps making comments on what they're about to do.  He obviously knows the plays and the players well. 

"Dad, can you get fries?" Gabe asks "I'm starving."

"You aren't supposed to eat that incase you play."  I remind him "Go eat one of the granola bars I have in the car."

"Jen, just let him eat some fries.  They aren't going to kill him." Brad walks away.  Gabe gets up and runs after him. 

They walk back a few minutes later sitting down with me.  Brad offers me fries and I choose to ignore him.  I continue to watch the game and hope that he leaves me alone.  This day is supposed to be about Gabe and I don't want to argue with Brad over something dumb.

"Mom, look."  Gabe gets my attention "Watch Luke!"

I look back to the game just in time to see his best friend, Luke, score a huge goal.  The game is now tied, and it looks like our team is going to win.  Everything looks great until one of our players trips over someone's shoes.  He falls flat on his face and lays on the ground hurt. 

"Gabe!"  The coach waves him over after the player gets up.  They put Gabe in the game right away.  He immediately starts to play with Luke, and scores a goal soon after. 

The rest of the game is mostly Luke and Gabe taking turns for our team and one kid on the other team who keeps getting very lucky.  Gabe blocks 3 goals and at one time kicks the ball out from under the kids feet and right down the middle of the field.

"You did great, buddy!" I congratulate him as we walk to the car "That was a really good block.  Everyone was surprised."

"Yeah,"  Brad adds "I'm proud of you!"

"Thanks."  Gabe looks ridiculously happy "It's just me today?"

I nod my head. "Everyone else is with grandma and grandpa."

"So I get to pick what we do?"

"Sure."  Brad says getting in the car  "But you need to decide soon before it's too late?"

"Can you take me and Luke for ice cream?!?" He asks. We say yes so he runs over to get Luke.  Brad and I sit in the car waiting in silence.

"Did I do something wrong?" He finally asks "I won't know of you don't tell me."

"We can talk later, Brad."  I notice the boys getting closer "I don't want to fight in front of Gabe's friend."

They get in the car and we leave towards the ice cream place.  The whole way there, all the boys do is talk about the game and what they did. 

"Dad can we get the soccer ball cake?"  Gabe begs "We'll share!"

"Please?"  Luke asks nicely. 

Brad walks right over to the freezer getting it out for them.  I wait for him to pay for it and take it to the table before getting his attention.

"Can we talk?"  I motion towards a private area "Now."

"Why are you in such a pissy mood?" He asks "Did I do something wrong?"

"Jesus Christ, Brad!  Do you have any brain?" I pace around, trying not to attract any attention "All he's had today to eat is crap!  You gave him ice cream for breakfast, fries for lunch and now a giant ass ice cream cake for dinner.  What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"So what?"  He looked at me like I'm crazy "This is one day.  He's not going to die or anything because he didn't eat healthy for one day."

"I know that, idiot."  I take a deep breath to calm down "I don't care if he does this sometimes, but this is too much for one day.  Especially when he needs to stay healthy for soccer.  What happens when he pukes on the field?"

"Jen, he'll be fine."  He pulls me closer "I know you care about him being healthy and all, I obviously do too, but he can have days like this.  Just calm down a little, look how happy he is."

I look over to see him digging a fork right into the middle of the cake.  He looks so excited to be eating it, especially with his best friend.

"Fine.  You're right."