Prologue

Prologue

"Agápi mou, I have a question for you, and I need you to promise not to over-react like you normally do."

The light-haired queen pauses, glancing up from her book at her husband. "Yes, because starting off your question that way is the best way to make sure I'm calm."

The corner of the dark-haired king's eyes crinkled as he braces himself for the inevitable. "Has she passed through here recently?"

"Who?" The queen's green eyes narrow. "Do you mean our daughter?"

"Yes." He replies, not even blinking under her burning gaze.

"No." She replies in a dangerously quiet tone as she slowly gets to her feet. "Are you actually telling me you lost our child?"

"No. I did not lose her."

"Well then why are you asking? Where is she?"

He hesitates. "As of this moment, I am not sure."

"Why?" Her eyes narrow into slits.

"She has finally discovered how to tap into her invisibility, it seems."

"She's invisible?" The queen's jaw hits the floor, and she drops everything purely so she can start searching the room frantically. "Hades, where the hell is our child?!"

"She's invisible Evie; your guess is as good as mine."

"You had her last! How could you lose her?"

"It is quite difficult to keep track of someone once they have turned invisible Evie, especially if they are as small as she is."

She ignores his logical reasoning. "I can't believe you lost her! She's our daughter, and you lost her."

"Did you not hear the invisible part?"

"Yes!" She glares at him. "But I'm more focused on the fact that you lost our daughter."

"No, you're not." He watches her in bemusement. "Are you still upset over the fact that her first word was 'Dad' and not 'Mum'?"

She throws a pillow at him. "No, but now I am!"

"Evie." He laughs. "It is not that big of a deal."

"Yes it is! I gave birth to her; the least she could do was say my name first." She splutters, throwing another cushion at him when he keeps laughing. "Stop laughing at me and find our child!"

He places the cushions back on the chair, following behind his wife as she tears the room apart like a maniacal whirlwind. "Agápi mou, you need to calm down. You will not find her if you bury her under all the cushions you're throwing around."

She pretends she didn't hear him, continuing on her frantic search. "I can hear her laughing; she's taunting us, the little devil!"

"Evie!"

"What? Technically she is; she's your goddamn daughter!"

"What, so all her bad qualities should now automatically be attributed to me?"

"Well, I mean you are Satan, so if the devil horns fit!"

"Agápi mou. Calm down."

"Calm down? Calm down?! Our daughter has disappeared Hades! How can you be so calm when somewhere, our two-year-old child is running around, probably injuring herself because she inherited my clumsiness?"

"Evie."

"She won't discover invisibility early, you said. She'll be talking or walking before she disappears before our eyes, you said. Well kudos to you, because she did walk and talk first, but now she's freaking walking and invisible and-"