Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I get to the bus stop just in time to see the bus pulling onto to street, and manage to get on with only a few difficulties; the driver did give me a funny look when I told her I had no idea how to pay and practically shoved the money at her, but thankfully didn't ask me any pressing questions. She probably passed me off as a crazy teen; I could see it in her eyes when she cast me a surreptitious look as I walk away. That didn't bother me though, because I was already too engrossed in the rustic ambiance of the bus.

I choose a seat at the very back, where I can watch both the people getting onto the bus and the landscape rushing past the window from the perfect perspective. From the very moment I sit down my attention is completely swallowed up by the scenery flickering past, and I can't help letting the awestruck fascination that washes over me from filtering into my expression. Even though the endless trees, people and houses that flow past the window would appear mundane and boring to anyone who joined me on the bus ride, to me it's like a kaleidoscopic montage that explodes with rare and unique sights, and I'm scared that if I blink, I'll miss something entirely important. It's a new and extraordinary world, and I'm completely riveted by my fascination.

"Is anybody sitting there?" A low voice suddenly tears through the enchantment encompassing me, as silky as melted chocolate.

Sighing softly, I reluctantly drag my attention away from the window and look up. My breath catches in my throat; a seemingly simple reaction that surprises me to my very core. I had read in countless books how certain people the protagonist encountered had taken their breath away, but I'd always brushed it off as a cliche exaggeration on the author's part, and never had I considered that it was actually a very real reaction.

But then again, I had never factored into the equation that I would meet someone as entrancingly beautiful as the boy standing in the aisle next to me.

I pause, letting my gaze flicker over his appearance as discreetly as I can. A rakish smile turns up his lips as he regards me in return, and he makes no attempt to pressure me into a response; it's almost like he's enjoying the fact that I'm studying his appearance. His eyes sparkle with mischief, like green emeralds offset in a face framed with a chiseled jawline and cheekbones so sharp I could cut myself on them. His hair is a rich chocolate brown, and as he shifts his stance slightly, the light runs it's fingers through it and highlights it a soft caramel. His skin is the colour of lightly burnt honey, like the sun has blessed it with soft kisses, complimented beautifully by the leather jacket bracing his broad shoulders. He looks nothing like anyone I've ever seen before, and that's more than enough to spark my intrigue.

I slowly glance around, confusion coursing through me when I realise how many spare seats there are surrounding me. In fact, there are only four people in total on the bus, myself and the boy standing in front of me included. I voice my confusion. "Why do you want to sit next to me?"

The boy shrugs slightly. "Why not? Last time I checked, it wasn't illegal to sit next to people on the bus."

I frown. "Has it ever been illegal?"

He laughs, his merriment lighting up his handsome features, but stops when he realises my bewilderment is genuine. I'm starting to notice people are doing that around me quite often; apparently my frankly spoken questions are more amusing than I realise. "Oh wait, you're serious?"

"Yes?"

"Then no, it hasn't. As far as I'm aware, anyway." He responds, his eyes twinkling as he looks me up and down. "Are you ever going to let me sit next to you, or am I going to have to awkwardly stand here for the whole ride?"

"Oh. Um. Sure." I grab the small satchel bag Jasmine lent me off the seat next to me and rest it on my lap. He grins, murmuring "thanks" as he sits down on the newly vacated seat. My gaze shifts between him and the window. What exactly am I supposed to do now? Continue exploring the world outside, or strike up a conversation with this exceedingly forward stranger? My research never prepared me for something like this.