Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

E R I C'S P O V

"Ellie?" My heart seizes as she slowly stills in my arms, her breath whispering through her lips in a soft sigh. Her entire body goes limp, her hand all of a sudden loosening its grip on mine. My grip tightens, and I shake her shoulders gently. "Ellie? C'mon Bambi, talk to me. Don't leave me hanging like that."

She doesn't say a single word, her eyes staring lifelessly up at me, and the emptiness in her gaze rips a hole in my chest and makes me go completely numb. Unable to see the lifeless look in her eyes for a second longer, I swallow hard and softly close her eyes, blinking back the tears that sting my eyes and roughly swiping away the ones that escape with the back of my hand. Then I gently pulling the knife from Ellie's chest and toss it aside, trying my hardest to ignore all the blood that spills all over her chest.

This can't be happening.

Behind me, Evie lets out a gut-wrenching sob, screaming her daughter's name. Seconds later, she appears next to me and shoves me roughly to the side, dropping to the ground next to Ellie and pulling her close.

"Ellie? Sweetheart look at me." Evie's voice breaks, and she lets out another choked sob. "Kiddo please, just open your eyes."

I slowly push myself up to my feet, unable to look at them, the heart-wrenching despair in Evie's voice making this all way too real. I look up and lock eyes with Amphitrite, and pure fury starts to boil in my veins. She regards me with a gaze that is so completely devoid of any emotion that it takes every ounce of strength in my body not to leap up and give her a taste of her own medicine.

"The prophecy has been fulfilled. The die is cast." Amphitrite says simply, holding her arm up in the air. A small, disgustingly familiar grey sea-shag swoops down towards her, and seconds later Alex materialises next to her. They share one meaningful glance before Alex turns around, clicking his fingers and gesturing at all the nymphs who amassed to fight for Amphitrite, and I watch in disbelief as they all simultaneously stop fighting, turning around and watching us silently.

Is that seriously it? Ellie sacrifices herself to save their lives and they just... walk off like nothing has happened?

Amphitrite smirks at all of us and with a taunting little wave turns on her heel, but before she can take another step Hades appears in front of her, his expression the deadliest I've ever seen it.

"You are a fool if you think I am letting you go anywhere Amphitrite." He snaps darkly. "You may think you have accomplished your goal, but we are not finished with you yet."

Amphitrite gulps ever so slightly and stares at him, a glimmer of fear flashing through her blue eyes. Around us, the remaining nymphs visibly freeze, all of them so terrified by the impending showdown that they're glued completely to the spot with their eyes locked on Hades and Amphitrite.

"That's right." Evie suddenly speaks up, and when I glance over at her, she's watching Amphitrite with a dangerously livid look on her face. "Eric, come here."

I eye her warily for a moment, before slowly walking back over to her. "What?"

"I'm sorry for pushing you." She replies, her sickeningly sweet tone scaring me a little. She glances down at Ellie, her expression wavering for a second, before meeting my gaze. "Can you look after her for a second? Make sure she doesn't get hurt?"

I nod, dropping down next to her and gently taking Ellie out of her arms. She slowly stands up, not taking her eyes off the dark-haired woman in front of her.

"What the hell makes you think you have the right to make sure the prophecy was fulfilled?" Evie asks in a low voice. "What the hell gave you that right?"