Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I come to with a loud gasp, bolting upright like I've been electrocuted. I might as well have been, because with that one action every single bone in my body explodes, the pain so searing that it feels like my entire body is on fire. I keel over with a muffled whimper.

So this is what being hit by a car going at speeds that border on psychotic feels like.

"Ellie?" I hear Jasmine say my name, and seconds later she appears in front of me. She sighs, relief written all over her face. "Oh, thank god. You're okay. Geez, can you please stop with all the random attempts to make me think you're dead? You really know how to give a girl a heart attack."

"What do you mean 'you're okay'?" I ask croakily. My voice comes out sounding scratchier than sandpaper. "I feel like every bone in my body is broken."

"That's probably because it's true. You got plowed over by a car Ellie." She replies. That's when I realise her eyes are staying pointedly on my face. "You look kind of really messed up right now. I didn't even know bones could bend that way."

"That's not helping." I groan, squeezing my eyes shut and forcing myself to focus on my breathing in an attempt to take my mind off the excruciating pain ricocheting through my body with every heartbeat.

"I know, I'm sorry." She sighs, and I feel her bend down next to me. "I'm trying to distract myself from the fact that I can't do anything to help you right now with unfiltered sarcasm. It also doesn't help that you look like you've been run over by a steamroller because of me."

"It wasn't your fault." Even though I mean it to be reassuring, I can't help but wince. Even talking hurts, like my throat is being stabbed with a thousand tiny fiery needles.

"You got hit because you saved me." She emphasizes, and I can practically hear her anguish tearing her apart. "I mean sure, that person shouldn't have been freaking flying through the parking lot like that, but if I had just been looking where I was going then-"

"Stop. It's not your fault." I reassure, opening my eyes and, against my better reason, attempting to push myself up into a sitting position, unable to resist the urge to comfort her. I get about two centimetres off the ground before a cry of agony rips through my lips. "Ow."

"Ellie, what, are you insane? Stop moving! Has nobody ever told you not to move when you have a broken bone? Or a million?" Jasmine places a firm hand on my shoulder and gently pushes me back down, giving me a look. "Seriously, just lie there and stay still until help arrives."

"You called for help?" I ask, my eyes widening considerably. I start trying to sit up again. "I can't go to a human hospital Jas, they-"

"I didn't call for human help, you twit." She snorts, shaking her head as she sits down on the gravel next to me purely so she can make sure I don't move an inch. "Seriously. Stop moving. Or I'm going to have to sit on you to stop you from moving, and I'm pretty sure that's a seriously bad idea."

"Who did you call then?" Icy fear shoots through my veins. "Spencer?"

"I did call Spencer," She starts, and my heart starts hammering away so hard it feels like it's trying to start up it's own drumming band. "But he didn't answer. So I called Eric."

"Eric?" I echo hollowly. I'm not entirely sure whether that option is better than Spencer.

"Yes." She replies, watching me keenly. "Eric. He's on his way now."

I don't respond and close my eyes again, in too much pain to argue with her about her decision; mainly because I know if I do, then I'll worry about what will happen when Eric sees me like this, which in turn would cause me to worry about why I'm worrying about that in the first place when I don't even fully know why.