Epilogue

Epilogue

E R I C'S P O V

It's funny how big of an impact someone can have on your life, and you don't realise it until they're gone.

It's almost been two months since Ellie died — fifty-two days to be exact — and the world just feels empty. Dark. Like the sun has disappeared and plunged us into an endless blackness. I can't help but find the poetic irony in that; Ellie had believed for so long that wherever she went, she spread deadly darkness, but it was the moment that she left the world forever that the real darkness sunk its claws into our lives.

I can barely remember what happened after Ellie sacrificed herself to stop the war. except for Evie just about strangling Amphitrite with her bare hands. But what I can remember is that Ellie succeeded in her final wish. It was like the moment Amphitrite killed her, we were all splashed with a big dose of reality. I guess, in sacrificing herself, Ellie had unknowingly disproved all the lies and rumours Amphitrite was telling her followers to turn them against Ellie; what kind of cold-blooded murderer or power-hungry tyrant would sacrifice themselves to save all the people trying to oppose them in the first place?

That's when Amphitrite's followers finally realised that she had been driven completely mad by her love for Poseidon and her obsession to get revenge on Ellie and her parents for locking him away in the first place. Most of them bolted the very moment Hades and Evie lost their shit at Amphitrite, taking her off to never be seen again. Her other more loyal followers, like Alex, still stayed faithfully by her side, but were quickly overwhelmed by Spencer, myself and our nymphs; after we got over the whole shock of Ellie being murdered right in front of our eyes, of course.

And Amphitrite? Well, to give her credit, she stayed strong right to the end and didn't back down for a second; but it was that pride that was her downfall. Honestly, she was stupid to think she would be able to get away after killing Hades and Evie's daughter right in front of them, and I think the only reason she survived at all was purely because Ellie's parents were trying to honour their daughter's final wish.

But I don't think I'll ever forget the look on Hades' face as he watched his wife fall apart in his arms; his wife who was so heartbroken by Ellie's death that she was unable to even so much as look at her daughter without breaking down into hysterics again. I hadn't been lucky enough (if that's what you can even pen it as: luck) to see the powerful god in action, but after witnessing what he did to Amphitrite, let's just say that I'm glad he spends most of his time down in the Underworld.

And that I sincerely hope Amphitrite enjoys the hell-hole he stuck her in for the rest of eternity.

After that, the remaining supers who lingered out of loyalty to Amphitrite scattered. Some of them, those that we thought we might be able to trust again, stuck around, but it was only a fair brave few who stuck around. In all honesty, I didn't blame them. In the span of thirty years, both their leaders had both attempted, and failed, to destroy the world as we knew it. I knew I was speaking for a vast majority of us when I say that Poseidon and Amphitrite had lost all respect we had previously harboured for them, and it would be a long time before the world would be able to trust them — with anything — again; it didn't take a genius to figure out that mistrust extended to the supers who had followed her idiotic plans for revenge too.

The rest of them, those who were still undyingly loyal to the domineering duo, didn't manage to escape into hiding; they didn't even make it off the beach alive.

Alex was one of those nymphs.

I personally made sure of that.

And once all the rebelling supers disappeared, the supernatural world relaxed. All thoughts of civil war subsided, and myself and the other gods were able to finally regain control after almost half a decade of unrest. But it was all too late. Even though its what she wanted, its what she sacrificed herself for, none of it mattered. Because she was gone. Ellie was dead.