Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"Jasmine, I am absolutely, positively, never coming out of this bathroom. Like ever again."

I can practically hear Jasmine roll her eyes. "El, it can't be that bad! You look hot in everything, trust me."

I fiddle with the hem of the dress, not believing her assurances at all. "I'm not so sure."

"Well I won't be able to make you be sure until you emerge from the damn bathroom." She groans impatiently, banging on the door. "Come on! The others are all here already; I am missing out on my own party. Do you know how depressing that is? I'm pretty sure Spencer is considering disowning me as we speak."

"Okay, fine." I sigh quietly and reluctantly open the door, very deliberately avoiding looking into the mirror. Jasmine stops knocking the moment I open the door, and her eyes light up when she sees me.

"Damn Ellie!" She whistles. "You look amazing!"

I blush, ducking my head so my hair covers my face. "You're just saying that so I hurry up."

"I would never!" She gasps, laying a hand on her chest. I give her a look, and she cracks a grin. "Okay fine, maybe I would, but not this time. This time I actually mean it. I mean, have you even seen yourself?"

"No?" I admit with a weak smile.

"Ellie! You demons, I swear." Jasmine grabs my hand and tugs me over to the mirror next to her bed. She nudges me, gesturing for me to look into the mirror. "Look! You look hot."

I shake my head with a wry smile and reluctantly lock eyes with my reflection. My eyes grow to the size of saucers. The girl staring back at me looks almost nothing like me. She's wearing Jasmine's lacy maroon red dress, which has a low scooping neckline and flowing skirts that end just above her knee. It flatters her figure perfectly, the lace skirts cinching in at her tiny waist and emphasizing her slender figure, and the outfit is finished off with a pair of simple black ankle boots. Her makeup is simple, but emphasizes her big green eyes, and her long dark brown hair, left in it's natural curls, frames her dainty features.

"See? I told you that you were hot." Jasmine winks, nudging me. She's looking as beautiful as a fairy, wearing a sky blue two-piece dress, whose bodice sparkles and twinkles under the soft lighting. "You actually clean up pretty good when you're not hiding behind your hair and that black leather jacket you seem obsessed with. Also, my dress looks amazing on you, and I kind of hate you for that." She adds as an afterthought.

"I don't look that amazing Jas." I reply amusedly. She scoffs.

"Stop being sickeningly humble and take the compliment already. You look amazing, and I can bet you five bucks right now that everyone else will agree with me." Jasmine rolls her eyes exasperatedly. "Now are you finished with your 'help, I'm wearing less than my usual nun-like self is used to' crisis? Because the others are all here and waiting and I'm not going to lie to you, I'm going to be incredibly annoyed if they all get drunk without me."

I can't help laughing at the genuine desperation clinging to her tones. "Okay, okay, let's go."

"Yay!" She cheers, and drags me after her without another moment to lose.

Raucous cheers bombard us the moment we enter the room, and I resist the very strong urge to shrink back and hide as everyone turns their attention to Jasmine and I. Jasmine, on the other hand, basks in all the attention like a cat in the sun, and throws her arms flamboyantly up in the air with a big grin.

"I'm finally here everybody; the party can officially start!" She announces.

They all begin cheering again, and I jump as music suddenly starts playing so loud that I feels like the very floors themselves are vibrating in time with the bass. Jasmine grins back at me and grabs my hand again, tugging me after her as she worms her way over to our friends. I screw up my nose in frustration. She knows me too well; she obviously recognised the flighty look in my eye and knew what I was desperately trying to plan.