Chapter Twenty-Seven

I had seen many movies, and read countless books where the hero or heroine finally kissed the 'love interest', and the whole scene had all but exploded off the screen or the page; with fireworks going off around them, and romantic music humming softly in the background, and feelings of indisputable ecstasy fluttering around in the air around the couple like little butterflies.

But not one of those books or movies, not a single one, prepared me for the feelings that exploded inside me when Eric kissed me.

At first I just stand there, so completely shellshocked by the fact that Eric's actually kissing me that my body completely freezes up in surprise and time just collapses. I fully expected for the kiss to last a few mere seconds, just long enough for the guard to walk up to us and disregard us as unimportant, and for me to stand there like an awkward statue the entire time. But I don't. For the first time ever, I don't even acknowledge the reasonable part of my brain, and act completely without thinking.

And I kiss him back.

The moment I kiss him back, it feels like time jumpstarts, and everything explodes into life. Eric makes a small noise in the back of his throat and steps closer to me, sliding his hands into my hair and kissing me even harder. After that, I don't even need to acknowledge that I'm not acknowledging the reasonable part of my brain, because all coherent thoughts just stop. Not only that, all the neurons firing in my brain just simultaneously implode and my entire body turns into jelly. Electricity sparks through my veins, and suddenly it feels like every single cell in my body is on fire. Sensory overload.

At first, the kiss starts off rough, like a small boat trying to survive on an unchartered and a wind-roughed sea, but then the sun comes out in all its blazing glory, and the choppy sea softens out into something of beautiful serenity. I step closer to Eric and wind my arms around his neck, pressing my body flush up against his and completely eradicating any existing space between us, and the response I get from Eric sends me rocketing up through the sky and straight up to cloud nine.

After he kisses me for what feels like forever and a day, during which my heart goes into cardiac arrest so many times I quickly lose count, Eric finally pulls away, his breathing just as erratic as mine.

"Well." Eric states, his eyes rapidly darkening with an emotion that I'm far too scared to decipher. "I've been wanting to do that for a very long time."

Then he turns on his heel and walks away like nothing ever happened, leaving me standing gobsmacked in his wake.

"Eric!" When I finally manage to come back to my senses I scramble after him, just about face-planting in the sand in my haste. "Where are you going? The guard! He'll see you!"

"I know." Eric shrugs dismissively, rounding the corner and promptly suckerpunching the guard in the face the moment he turns around. The guard crumples, dropping like a sack of potatoes to the ground. Eric turns back to face me and shoots me a rakish grin. "Luckily for him, my ruggedly handsome face will be the last thing he'll be seeing for quite some time."

I stare wide-eyed at him. "If you were just going to punch him, why didn't you do that before, instead of—?" I flail my arms around in the air, unable to make myself say the word.

"Kissing you?" He finishes for me, cocking an eyebrow. I nod, folding my arms tightly over my chest and hastily trying to slap on a mask of indifference. "Because he probably would've raised an alarm, Bambi. If we were going to take him out, we needed to take him by surprise, not stand right in front of him and wave our fists around in the air."