Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five 

When my father said Zeus had summoned us for a hearing, I had assumed he'd meant he'd summoned just my parents and I, for a private meeting where I could tell my side of the story.

What I didn't realise, however, was that not only were Spencer, Eric, and all the nymphs from the Orphanage also in attendance; so were all the other major deities, from Hera, to Demeter, even to Aphrodite, who was sitting on a chair at the edge of the group, studying her nails in obvious boredom.

I swallow hard, keeping my gaze fastidiously fixed forward as my parents and I walk up to Zeus and refusing to acknowledge the hatred pulsating in the air like a thickening swarm.

It hasn't even been twenty-four hours since Otti died, and already they nymphs are all acting like they never knew me.

My father, never one to miss a small detail, notices the switch in my behaviour and speaks up in a quiet tone designated for my hearing only. "Are you alright?"

"No." I reply, just as quietly. "I didn't realise there would be this many people here. I feel like I'm a witch going on trial."

"Like I told you before El, this isn't just a normal accusation." My mother pipes up quietly, shooting me a grim smile. "You basically are being put on trial."

That doesn't help to qualm my nerves at all.

"Great." I mutter, clenching my fists at my sides. "I'm being put on trial in front of the group who led my witch-hunt in the first place. I'm sure this will all work out splendidly."

My parents share a look.

"I blame you for her sarcasm." My father whispers.

"Oh yeah? Well, I blame you for the big fancy-ass words she uses when she's being sarcastic." My mother shoots back. "You didn't have to teach her to be a walking thesaurus, you know. Having one in the family is more than enough."

"Guys." I hiss. "You're not being very supportive right now!"

They share another look.

"Sorry Ellie." My father shoots me a small smile, squeezing my shoulder.

"Oh, I'll show you supportive alright." My mother rolls her shoulders, cracking her neck. "When I verbally whoop Zeus' ass for even thinking that this accusation has any merit to it."

"Evie." My father gives her a pointed look, one that's all too familiar. It's the look he gives her when he knows she's planning on doing something he considers highly idiotic.

He's usually right, too.

"What?" My mother whispers, holding her hands up in the air. "We both knows it needs to be done. It's an incredibly baseless accusation!"

"It's not baseless Mum." I hiss, my eyes wide. "That's the whole point!"

Zeus clears his throat, the loud noise tearing through our conversation and grounding us firmly in reality. He raises an eyebrow at us. "Are you ready?"

"For what?" My mother asks sweetly, and my father just about smacks her.

Zeus' eyes narrow, and he turns his gaze to my father. "You told me you would talk to her about this."

"I did." My father replies stoutly. "I never said she would listen."

Across the other side of the room, Spencer snickers, covering his mouth with a theatrical mask of innocence when Zeus looks his way.