•forty three• this is(n't) us

From where I stood, Dad had his back turned to me. Margret and my grandparents were laughing, their hands clasped over hers. Their words got lost in general din of the wedding hall. Suppose they didn't really matter though, the actual words. Their happiness was obvious. The joy of seeing two lovers unite. Oh! And the ceremony.
So quaint.
So picturesque.
Truly a happily ever after.

Or it would be, if it weren't for us. My mother, miles away and moping, probably, in the very home these lovers wrecked. And me, standing here with my crappy posture and subpar makeup and sloppy hair. A constant reminder of that ordinary life he'd left behind. A life that wasn't good enough for him. Wasn't styled to perfection the way this one was.

I wasn't wanted here. Not really. This whole day was celebration. For new beginnings, a fresh start, a lighthearted romcom if you will. And I was relic. Ancient, greased in history and hate.
End scene, exit stage.

I walked past them, head bent. Across the marble, onto the carpeted hallways, then that familiar scrape of asphalt against my heels.

The air swept around me, face and shoulders acutely aware of how cold it was tonight. This was actually happening. No, this happened. It's all over.

I was empty. Like I'd somehow left the soul of me behind.. that and my coat.

The slap of cool air came with sharp realization. Love was overrated. And I don't think I'd ever known anything with more clarity. They sold us all a lie. And we with our gooey eyes and wagging tails, we ate that shit up.

"hey"

I didn't turn. But I could feel him there, watching. Standing so close that every breath carried a part of him. So familiar, so distant. So what? Why was he here? 

I scowled. Who gives a fuck anymore. He doesn't matter anymore. Sara doesn't matter
anymore. Nothing-

"you forgot your coat"

He placed the coat around me. Then gave a sigh when it started to slip down my stubborn, unbudging shoulders. And instead, wrapped an arm around to hold it in place. 

We walked to the car, bundled together.

A part of me would've wondered if this meant something, would've fluttered at the ease of it.

But that was precisely the part I'd left behind.

~~~~
A/N: Yesss i know, this is a million years too late. i dunno i'm a terrible procrastinator and i just didn't want to end this story the wrong way.. I know, this Chapter is short but the ending will be published by the end of next week i swear 🤞🏼
Anyway, let me know what you thought 🙃