teenage satellites

the next morning came too quickly and before josh could process it the sound of car doors slamming woke him from his sleep. he wiggled his way out of tyler's grip and got out of the bed, putting his clothes back on as fast as he could. josh quietly snuck out of tyler's room and walked down the stairs to meet his family at the front door.

"hi josh! thank you for staying the night with him, we don't know how to repay you" chris spoke and the rest of tyler's family nodded in agreement.

"don't worry about it. i enjoyed spending time with him, he's such a great kid. i don't need any payment" josh objected and he could see kelly sigh in happiness.

"you are an angel josh! we'll contact you when we need a babysitter again, this was so much easier than dragging him along and having to listen to him whine the whole time" kelly laughed and josh smiled at her.

"i would love to watch him again, but i have to get going now. thank you so much for having me! tell tyler i say bye" josh called out as he walked to his car and got into the drivers seat. he watched as tyler's family waved goodbye to him as he drove away in a rush to get to his work on time.

🍼🖍🍼

josh got off of work at 6:00 that night and by the time his shift ended all he wanted to do was curl up in a ball and die. as soon as he got to his apartment he hobbled into the bathroom, turning the shower on and stepping in once the water reached a hot temperature. josh hummed in contentment at the feeling of the water warming up his cold skin, washing away any dirt that littered his body.

after he had gone through the routine of cleaning himself he turned the water back off and wrapped a towel around his waist, not bothering to dry himself. josh made his way into his room and picked up his phone so he could see what he missed while he was at work.

tyler: hi joshy! mommy said you're at work so i probably won't get a response but she said i should thank you

tyler: so thank you!

tyler: i'm bored :(

tyler: when you get home you should facetime me i miss you

josh chuckled at the messages and he decided to facetime tyler, not wanting to upset the younger boy. he smiled when tyler's face appeared on his screen, waving excitedly at him.

"hey ty! how was your day?" josh questioned and watched as tyler seemed to walk up the stairs and into his bedroom. he fell onto the bed and let out a big sigh as his head landed on the pillows.

"it was okay, kinda boring.." tyler mumbled and jutted his lower lip out so he was pouting.

"how so?"

"mel was with her girlfriend so she couldn't see me and you were at work so i had to spend the whole day alone!" tyler cried out like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"i'm sorry babe, that doesn't sound very fun" josh cooed and tyler made a small noise in agreement.
"what are you doing now?"

"nothing. i just finished getting ready for bed since tomorrow is monday and i need to go to sleep early so i can get up for school."

"i completely forgot that you have school, should i go so you can sleep?"

"no! i'm not tired" tyler pleaded and looked at josh with his best puppy dog eyes.
"i wanna look at the stars. i really love the stars.."

"i'm gonna go sit in front of my window so i can see the stars, you do the same thing, okay? it'll be like we're looking at the stars together" josh suggested, standing up and walking over to the window.

he observed as tyler shuffled over to the window, pulling up a small chair to sit in. the two smiled at each other through their phones and tyler giggled, switching his gaze so it was fixated on the stars.

"hey josh, do you think aliens exist?" tyler whispered as he stared up at the sky in awe.

"yeah, i do" josh admitted and tyler looked back at his screen with a huge grin on his face.
"the universe is so big and there's so much that hasn't been discovered, the thought that we're the only living creatures doesn't seem possible."

"you lost me a few times during that" tyler giggled and josh joined in with the laughter.
"i agree though."

they stayed on facetime for another 20 minutes, exchanging small comments while they watched the stars, but josh noticed tyler start to yawn and his eyelids begin to get heavier.

"you look pretty tired, i'll let you go to bed" josh spoke and tyler was startled out of the sleep he was falling into.

"hm? oh yeah, yeah. goodnight joshy" tyler groggily stood from his spot in front of the window and he snuggled into his covers.

"sweet dreams tyler. i'll talk to you tomorrow, have a good day at school! goodnight baby boy" josh whispered, watching as tyler was taken by sleep.