long way down

a/n

please don't give me any shit for using a one direction song!!!

•••

"i miss him josh."

"it's been less than 24 hours."

"so? is it illegal to miss your best friend?" melanie snapped and immediately softened when she saw josh's shocked expression. "i'm sorry, i'm just moody."

"i get it but being upset isn't going to fix anything," josh pointed out and she rolled his eyes at him.

"can you text him for me? i'm scared he's gonna be upset if i talk to him," melanie pleaded as she gave josh her best puppy dog eyes and let out a quiet cheer as he pulled his phone out and began typing.

josh: hey ty :) can we talk?

tyler: i don't know

tyler: brendon said that you guys are controlling my life and that i have to learn how to be my own person

josh: he also called you names and got upset at you, remember?

tyler: melanie got upset at me too :(

josh: it was different

josh: she was trying to watch out for you. brendon just got upset because he felt like it

a few minutes went by and tyler still hadn't responded to josh's text, sending melanie into a fit of anxiety.

"what if he's in danger? oh my god- what if brendon is hurting him?" she rambled as her mind immediately went to the worst possible scenarios.

"just stay calm okay? worrying won't help anything," josh tried to comfort her but she scoffed at his words.

"how can you expect me to not worry? we are talking about the boy who relies on me for everything in life. he still doesn't know how sex works and he sure as hell doesn't know that brendon is just trying to get in his pants," melanie sighed. "tyler always sees the good in people and it's a blessing but also a curse; you have no idea how many guys have tried to get with him but he never realizes it. i'm scared."

"i know mel, and if he can see past the negatives of everyone else i know he'll be able to see past your mistakes," josh spoke as he stared at the baby pink walls of melanie's room, really examining everything since he got there last night. "i like your room, it's really nice."

"tyler helped me paint and decorate it when we were in seventh grade," melanie smiled a bit at the memories but it didn't last long as she remembered why josh was at her house in the first place.

"what should we do?" josh question as he focused on the fragile girl next to him.

"i'd say we go to brendon's house and expose that son of a bitch."

🍼🖍🍼

"this is his house?"

"yeah, i remember going to a party he had one night during freshman year," melanie confirmed as she stepped out of the car and made her way up the front steps. she forcefully knocked on the door and she could hear tyler's loud giggles from the other side of the door, causing a pang of jealousy to bubble up in her stomach. she clenched her fists by her side as brendon opened the door with his signature shit eating grin etched across his features.

"sorry, i'm not looking to buy girl scout cookies today," brendon sneered as he began to close the door but he wasn't quick enough as melanie snaked her small body through and made it into the house. he was distracted by her action and didn't notice josh enter too until he heard tyler speak.

"j-josh?" the youngest boy spoke, his voice cracking as melanie ran over to him and knelt down on the floor besides him. she pulled him into a hug as she sobbed into his shoulder, not being able to control her emotions.

"tyler doesn't want to see you guys, right babe?" brendon smirked as josh tensed at the pet name he had given tyler.

"i told you that i didn't want you to call me that," tyler mumbled, flinching slightly as brendon stormed over and pulled him up by his wrist. he whimpered in pain as he tried to tug his arm away but it was no use.

"tyler they're just trying to get in the way of what we have," brendon turned to the trembling boy as he grabbed his shoulders and held him in place. "melanie is upset because she can't stand the thought of you not listening to her every order, aren't you tired of her making decisions for you?"

tyler meekly shrugged his shoulders and glanced at melanie who was staring at him, her eyes glazed over by the tears. the look she was giving him was needy and pleading.

"and don't even get me started with josh. he's jealous of me because you're spending time with me more than him; he's scared that you're gonna leave him before you two can even have sex. he's using you tyler, can't you see that!" brendon's voice got louder with each word to the point where he was yelling at tyler, his grip on the boy's small shoulders becoming so tight that they were sure to leave bruises.

"let me go, you're hurting me," tyler whispered, barely audible as he was scared to upset brendon even more. he didn't seem to hear the quiet words as he continued with his fingers tightening. tyler quaked in fear as he spoke a little louder, "let go of me."

brendon still didn't hear and he turned to josh with tyler still whimpering from his painful touch.

"you were so close to getting him in bed, you're just upset because you know i'll be able to do it faster than you. he doesn't want you josh- he wants me. i've told tyler how much i like him, but you haven't mentioned that at all to him, have you? why would he want to be with someone who can't even admit he has feelings for him? you aren't any better than me, you gave him a hand job before you even-"

"just let me fucking go!" tyler screamed, taking everyone in the room by surprise. brendon was fast to take his hands off of his dainty shoulders and he stepped back a bit, watching as tyler went running into melanie's arms. she picked him up and he wrapped his legs around her waist, burying his head in her neck. josh went rushing over and joined the hug, smiling as tyler gave him a small peck on his lips.

"get out of my house, you guys are fucking crazy," brendon seethed, watching as the three made their way outside. they heard the door slam behind them, sighing in relief because they were all together again.

"i missed you guys so much."

"we missed you too babe."

•••
a/n

happy new year!! i hope everyone is having a good 2017 so far!! i'm v excited bc i see tøp in exactly two weeks from today :)))

i'm also happy bc i finally completed my p!atd record collection and i have every album on vinyl woohoo!!

how are you guys doing?? tell me something you're happy about or looking forward to!!
-carina