if i'm lucky

it was the usual saturday afternoon at chuck e. cheese, busy and filled with loud kids. josh was currently working at the prize counter, handing the various items you could win out to those who had enough tickets. he was mentoring the newest employee, dallon, and he was on the verge of having a break down over how clueless he was.

"it's not that difficult. a kid has enough tickets to get what they want? cool, give them what they ask for. you even have a calculator here in case you can't do mental math!" josh explained and dallon stared back at him with a blank expression.

"i think i get it," he smiled proudly at josh.

"okay, try it on your own this time."

josh watched as dallon approached the next person in line. she stood on her tiptoes and slid her ticket receipt on the counter and tilted her head upwards so she could look at the tall man in front of her.

"c-can i h-have the big b-blowup a-alien? pink p-please," she nervously stuttered and dallon nodded his head at her. he walked to the box with the aliens and pulled out a bright pink one, putting it up to the air hose (i have no clue what those things are called okay) and making sure it was fully inflated before he turned back around and handed it to the small girl.

"here you go, anything else?" he spoke and she shook her head no, skipping away with her mom.

"good job dallon! one thing though, how many tickets did she have?" josh chuckled as dallon furrowed his eyebrows in thought.

"i think she had 50."

"you're an idiot, those cost 200 tickets! how did you mess that up?" josh whisper-yelled and dallon just shrugged at him, watching as josh ran his hand through his hair. "you know what? it's fine, it's okay. don't worry about it!"

"are you sure? you seemed pretty upset that-"

"shut up before i get you fired," josh mumbled through gritted teeth, a painfully fake grin spread across his face. "next time just make sure you check that, yeah?"

dallon nodded his head a few times before turning away to continue handing out the prizes. josh was about to do the same but he got distracted by the two people entering through the door. he gave dallon the 'i trust you not to fuck up' look as he abandoned the trainee.

"tyler!" josh called out, beaming at the younger boy who flung himself into josh's arms.

"joshy i missed you," tyler gasped, a small giggle escaping his lips as josh placed a light kiss on his cheek. someone cleared their throat and tyler pulled away from josh, his attention switching to the boy he was with. "oh! this is brendon, he's my new friend!"

"isn't he the one who was making fun of you that day i came to pick you up from school?" josh questioned, trying his best to mask his jealousy as brendon snaked his arm around tyler's waist and pulled him closer.

"well, yeah. he apologized though, he's really nice to me now," tyler informed, his eyes going between brendon and josh as they each sent cold glares to each other.

"c'mon ty, let's go play," brendon tugged tyler away, leaving josh alone and extremely confused.

he returned back to the prize counter and was happily surprised by dallon handling everything perfectly.

"where'd you go?" he asked as the boy in front of him left. there were no more kids in line so the two had time to relax before someone else came up to them.

"i saw a friend of mine."

"i didn't get a good look but i think i knew the kid who your friend was with," dallon said, peering into the game room to try to get a better view. "oh yeah, that's definitely him."

"you know brendon?" josh snapped, sounding more rude than what he intended.

"he's a friend of mine, really nice kid."

"oh- cool."

"they're holding hands, that's so cute," dallon cooed and josh rolled his eyes.

"yeah, cute," he sighed, watching the two boys with intertwined hands and happy looks on their faces.

🍼🖍🍼

"hey ty! how many tickets do you have?"

"brenny and i combined our tickets together so we have 600!" tyler boasted, snuggling into brendon's side as he swung their interlocked hands back and forth.

"wow, that's a lot! pick anything you want and i'll get it for you, maybe i'll even let you get something worth more than 600 tickets" josh offered causing tyler to light up in excitement. he stood in thought for a few minutes, his eyes scanning over everything he could choose from. he whispered something to brendon and josh could feel anger boil up in his stomach. he quickly dismissed the thoughts of jealousy, he couldn't have any feelings for tyler, that was illegal and wrong. he was just protective over the small boy, that was it.

"can i have the giant teddy bear? the one holding the big heart," brendon smirked, knowing he was pissing josh off. josh complied anyways and got the teddy bear off of its shelf. he was about to hand it to tyler but brendon snatched it from him before he had the chance.

"yeah, you're welcome," josh grumbled.

brendon bent down on one knee, holding the bear out to the small boy. tyler brought his hands up to his mouth as he giggled and his face flushed bright pink.

"will you, tyler joseph, take this teddy bear from me, brendon urie?"

tyler nodded and brought brendon in for a tight hug, kissing his cheek in the process. josh looked away in fear that he would blow up at the two if he kept staring. he just wanted to tell tyler that brendon wasn't good for him.

•••
a/n

ha you thought i was gonna let this book be all cutesy and drama free,,, psyche!!!!!!!

how are you guys doing though? i love hearing from you guys it makes me so happy :)) i love you all and thank you for putting up with my shitty writing and bad sense of humor
-your unproblematic fav, carina