Jealousy

"This is a college bar?" You asked Dean as you swirled in your bar seat. After being at this bar for over an hour, you were not impressed, and you glanced around, trying to make sense of the place. A couple of older men were at the end of the bar, trying to find answers at the bottom of their beer bottles. A rowdy group of college students played pool at the other end, all big, full of muscles and no doubt full of themselves. You caught a couple of them checking you, but you turned your attention back to Dean.

"It's early." Was Dean's answer. "Give it another twenty minutes and I bet this place will be packed." He told you, throwing back the last of his whiskey. "And I'm going to hit the head."

You watched as he strode away, before turning back to your jack and coke, swishing the ice around without really drinking it. Sighing, you wondered how long you would have to be here before you learned anything, or if it would be another wasted night at a bar. 

"Aren't you supposed to be drinking that, not playing with it?" A smooth voice said from beside you. A tall, well built man was standing next to you, smiling down at you with a beer bottle in his hand. He was a college student, you could tell that right away, with his gelled hair and his college football shirt. 

"I will. I just like taking my time." You said, as you saw Dean return from the bathroom, making a beeline for the group of girls that had just walked in wearing skimpy denim shorts and low cut tanks. You glared his way, hating how he was able to just walk over, smile that smile of his and all the women were falling over themselves to be the one he noticed. 

"You two a thing?" The guy sitting next to you asked, and you tore your gaze away from Dean to stare into the beautiful golden brown eyes of the man talking to you.

"No. Just coworkers." You said, the thought making your mood a little more sour than you cared to admit. 

"Does that mean I might have a chance?" He asked, and you considered it for a moment. Getting close and cuddly to a college football player wasn't exactly what you wanted, but it might get you closer to finishing this case.

"Of course." You said, turning your full attention on him, missing the way Dean's eyes followed you. "I'm Y/N by the way."

"Derek." He answered, signaling the bartender for a couple of fresh drinks. "I haven't seen you around before. Do you go to school here?"

"Nope. Just traveling through. Thinking about it though." You said, trying not to flinch as he subtly wrapped his arm around the back of your chair. 

"That's good news for me." He said as you were handed your new drink. Taking a sip, you tried to pretend to be interested in Derek, who wasn't really your type. "Will you be in town for the football game Saturday?"

"Maybe. Depends on how things go." You said, placing your hand on his thigh, hating yourself for leading this man on. "Why, are you on the team?"

"Yeah. Me and my buddies over there. Or at least what's left of us." He said, his eyes growing sad for a moment before he shook it off.

"What's that mean?" You asked, just as a high shrilly laugh sounded behind you. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see one of the college girls wrapping herself around Dean, the rest cheering her on.

"Crap. I didn't mean anything, and I don't want to bring us down. But we're thinking there's a curse on us or something. We've had a couple of friends pass away, and they've almost canceled the game." He admitted, before downing his beer.

"I'm sorry to hear that." You said, but truthfully, it made you more interested. "How'd it happen? If you don't mind me asking." You said, pretending to comfort him.

"Each one drowned. Ed in his pool, and Sean in his bathtub. Both were marked as suicides. But I don't think so." He told you, the beer loosening his tongue. 

"Really? Then what do you think it was?" You asked, leaning forward, letting him get a good look of your cleavage. 

"A ghost." He said, but before he could say anymore, you felt a hand wrap around your arm, turning you in your chair until you came face to face with a pair of furious green eyes.

"Y/N, we need to go. Now." Dean muttered, his voice low and barely controlled.

"Dean, it's alright. You can leave with your new girl. I'll find my own way home." You said, but his eyes just narrowed a little more before he pulled you off your seat, and towards the door.

"Hey man, she said she doesn't want to go yet. Let her go." Derek said, trying to come to your rescue. Little did he know that he had no chance against Dean, especially when his mind was made up.

"Dean, wait." You started, but he pulled you forward, out the door, into the now pouring rain. "Why are you so mad?" You asked him.

"Why? Because you are throwing yourself at him! We are here to solve a case, not for you to hook up with the first man you find." He growled, and you yanked your arm away, disbelief evident in your voice as you answered him.

"Excuse me? Since when did you decide what I can and can't do? And it's not like you were being Mr. Prim and Proper. I saw you with that girl all over you. And for your information, I was close to getting more information. He was friends with the victims!" You yelled, pushing your finger into Dean's chest.

Dean reached up, grabbing you by your wrist and holding you still. His eyes were steady on yours, his hair plastering to his head.

"Y/N!" You heard Derek yell, breaking the trance you and Dean had been in. You turned to look for Derek, when you saw him trip into a big puddle of water. Waiting for him to get up, you were surprised to see him struggling, as if he was drowning. That's when you noticed it. The slightest shimmer around him, of a body, it's hands holding him down into the water.