What makes me tick

Without thinking about it, I make my way up the stairs to the old building. After just witnessing the death of my family, I heard this voice. The voice was so serene and melodic that I had to follow it. Come to me, the voice told me. Follow my voice. I felt like I had no choice but to follow it.

When I reach the door, at the top of the stairs, I hesitate before opening the door. Come to me child. We need to talk, the voice whispered. Taking a deep breath, I push the door open and was instantly greeted by the cold wind.

I cautiously step over the threshold and take a quick look around. At the very edge of the building, stood a guy with ebony hair. Lucifer no doubt. He just stood there, doing absolutely nothing. No, scratch that, he was singing, but I couldn't hear exactly what he was singing. Curious, I take a couple of steps towards him, trying to hear what he was singing. Without meaning to, I gasp when I recognize what song he was singing.

"I see the moon

The moon sees me

God bless the moon

and God bless me

I see the stars

The stars see me

God bless the stars

and God bless me

I see the world.

The world sees me.

God bless the world,

And God bless me.

I have an angel,

she watches over me.

God bless my angel,

And God... bless... me." After the guy finished singing, he turned around and faced me. "Hello Raven."

"How the hell do you know that song?" that song was a song I vowed to never sing again or think about.

"How do you know that song?" Lucifer smiled at me and took a step towards me.

"My Mom, she used to sing it to me every night. You sang it exactly the way she sang it. It's called Moon Lullaby."

"I know." Lucifer said. "You want to know what I find so amusing?"

"No, not really." I responded.

"The fact that you act all tough around people. Not daring to let them into your life if fear that they will get hurt like your parents did. You refuse to let your guard down, making everyone think that you hate everyone. You may have everyone fooled by your icy-stone demeanor, but not me. I have a feeling that I know what makes you tick."

"Oh really, enlighten me." I stood there, with my arms crossed.

"You are driven by three things. The first thing is fear. Since the death of your parents, you refuse to let other people in because you fear that they will be ripped from your life, like your parents were. It's not that you hate people, no, in fact you actually care for everyone, even though you don't show it openly. The other thing is hate. You are driven by the hate. You hate the fact that you weren't there when your parents were killed. You hate that you listened to your mom, when she told you to stay where you were before the killer killed her. You also hate yourself and life. You believe that you don't deserve to be alive when your parents are dead. You wish you were dead, but yet you can't bring yourself to kill yourself. You believe that you should continue life, just for your parents. You believe-"

"Stop!" I yell, covering my ears. "Just stop."

"What's wrong Angel? Can't handle the truth?" Lucifer grinned.