chapter 44

Percy pov

School is like hell, or Tartarus, as Tyler says.

Nothing is good about school. I mean, really. You wake up at like 6 am and go to a place where you are criticized by everyone around you. The teachers are jerks. There is nothing good about going to school.

More reasons run through my mind, as I pull on my sneakers and tie them sloppily.

"I'll give you a ride if you need it." Dominic suggests.

"I'll walk.  I'm technically a missing person and if someone sees you dropping me off, they might think you kidnapped me or something." I tell him.

He nods and shoves something into my hand along with a jacket.

"It's a poptart. Now eat it. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And, put on the jacket. It's cold outside." He says giddily.

"Why are you so chipper today?"

"I'm always 'chipper' in the mornings. I'm a very happy morning person. Now go to school. You have like twelve minutes to get there."

"Yeah. I'm going." I say, walking out the door. "See ya!"

"Bye!" He shouts once I'm out. I pull the jacket over my head and pull the hood on.

I begin my trek to school and thankfully, it isn't interrupted this time. I get to school and go straight to my locker. It's great that I left all my books at school the other day. I lost the bag, unfortunately, but whatever.

I start pulling out my books for the first half of the school day. When I'm done, I close my locker and walk to my homeroom. I arrive just as the bell goes off

I swiftly move to my seat, without alarming anyone with my presence.

About half way through role call, Peter comes in late.

He stops in the doorway when he sees me. He mutters something under his breath and steps closer to me.

"Percy?" He looks at me carefully, examining me to see if I'm okay. "Where have you been?" Now the entire class is staring at us.

"I don't know. Why don't you tell me?" I retort. "Where have I been Peter? 'Cause I certainly wasn't raised by Tony Stark and my mom died when I was 10. So, tell me. Where have I been because I only have a slight idea of who I am."

"Okay. Let's go home and ask Loki and Tony to expl-"

"I'm not asking Tony or Loki. I am asking you, Peter. After lying to me for months, will you tell me the truth? If I can't trust you, I know I can't trust any of the avengers." I look him dead in the eye.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you the truth." He says, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Try me."

"I can't say it here. I do that want to be killed for spilling secrets that aren't mine." He says, flicking his eyes to the class.

"Alright then. Let's go to the hallway."

"Anyone can listen in there. Let's go back to the tower. I'll explain when we're there and everyone can explain because I'm not all that great at explaining things." He says.

I think about it for a minute, before nodding.

"Sorry, sir. Family emergency. Mark us down as absent today." Peter says to the teacher, who nods in response.

"Understandable." He continues calling student names and we leave the room. When we get to the lobby, we walk into the office and tell the teachers why we have to leave.