chapter 51

Neutral pov-

For the next few weeks, Percy and Peter constantly found themselves staring at each other. Neither made an attempt to talk to the other, nor did they notice their new mutual hobby. A few people could pick up on the heavy sexual tension, but no one said anything for fear of bringing up something neither teen wanted to talk about.

They hadn't spoken a word to each other and eventually came their prom night. She was in her room getting dressed; he was in his doing the same.

The blue dress made her feel like Cinderella, but she knew she wasn't going to her senior prom with her dream boy, even though they both wanted to be with each other. Percy Jackson pushed that thought out of her head. Sure, she wasn't attending the dance with her crush, but that was okay. Ian McKinley was a very nice guy, even though he was also very sad and could seem, as the kids say, "emo". They were good friends and she could relate to him on a deeper level, having gone through a rough patch of depression and having experienced grief and mourning. As hard as she tried to keep her thoughts on him, her mind was insistent on a boy who at that moment was doing a very similar thing to her.

Peter was in his room straightening his tie. He was nowhere near focussed on the article of clothing. He was thinking about a girl that only a few weeks before had been nearly undressed and in bed with him. He could've thought about his gorgeous blonde girlfriend that would be accompanying him tonight, but he didn't want to and he didn't try.  He only wanted to think of Persephone Jackson. It was childish of him, but he always imagined himself with Percy when he was with Gwen.  She had a nasty habit of invading his thoughts all the time. Peter found it enticing and alluring and at the same time obnoxious because he could only think of her. He began to lace up his shoes and continued thinking of his green eyed goddess, the one directly a floor above his bedroom.

Aphrodite had come to assist Percy in getting ready. This was greatly appreciated by the demigod because she was struggling and mind of freaking out.

"Here. Let me." The goddess stood behind the seventeen year old and clasped the necklace.

"Thanks." Percy said, before taking a sip from her water bottle.

"You've got a lot on your mind Percy. Anything about a certain hero, by any chance?" The younger girl coughed and could feel her cheeks heat up. "I thought as much."

"It's terrible, Dite." Percy said, sitting down in front of her vanity. "I'm practically in love with him. I can't stop thinking about him. He's just so... good."

"Yeah he is. You deserve a good guy like him. He's a hero type and if I know anything about you, if he's not blond, he's probably a hero." Aphrodite said, once again moving to behind the girl in the mirror. The goddess began fixing the girl's curled hair, pinning small pieces up to give it a more intricate look. "You two would be good together. It has a nice ring, don't you think, Peter and Percy?"

"That would be great, but he has a girlfriend who is also my friend. I know he likes her a lot and I know she likes him. Who am I to get in their way?" Percy asked.

"You are the gorgeous, talented, heroic, modest Persephone Jackson, daughter of Poseidon, slayer of more monsters than Heracles, bane of Kronos and Gaia, multiple time savior of Olympus, greatest person with a sword in over a millennia, survivor of Tartarus, and so much more. You're a hero to so many people. I just wish you could see for yourself how amazing you are and if he doesn't like you back, screw him. He's a fool." She paused, a devious smirk playing along her lips. "I could always work a little magic and-"

"If you're going to work any magic, make him not feel anything for me besides friendship." She looked at Percy with a puzzled expression. "He likes her, I know he does and I think he likes me. I don't need him to break her heart for me. He already said he would and I don't need her heartbreak on my conscience. I'd never forgive myself if he dumped her for me. It's best if he stays happy with her. If you do anything, make them happy."