Prologue

"WATER SHURIKEN!"

"BLAST BURN"

When the two moves collided with each other, a massive force hit everyone and a cloud of dust appeared. Ash stood there waiting for the smoke to clear. After the smoke cleared, it showed a standing Charizard and Greninja. Charizard fell to one knee panting heavenly. Greninja smiled, but suddenly him and Ash both collapsed at the same time. Greninja went back to his normal form, fainted, and Ash just sat up and his thoughts were racing.

"B-but how? I did everything to win and I get beat by a move that isn't effective against me at all? This is nonsense. I just don't understand"

After all the commotion, everyone screamed for the battle they just saw. Clemont Bonnie Shauna Trevor and Tierno were all in shocked. Serena started to cry for Ash. She knew how much he worked for and he came up short again. She didn't understand it as much as he doesn't. She quickly got up and ran out to go and find Ash.

Ash was still sitting on the ground thinking. That's when he saw Alain walk to his Charizard and gave his gratitude. Ash smiled at the sight. He knew he didn't get beat by luck, he wasn't beaten by skill. Ash put on a fake smile and walked up to Alain.

Ash:"Congratulations Alain, you deserve it"

Alain could see the hurt in his eyes, he smiled, "That battle could've gone either way. It was the best battle everyone has seen"

Ash:"Yeah you're right. One for the ages. I'm gonna get out of here. Before everything gets crazy. Congrats once again! You showed me I still need to train more if i want to win a league"

Alain nodded in reply. He knew Ash had a good heart.

Ash then got up and got pikachu, "Come on buddy. We need to get out of here before things get hectic"

Ash then walked out and was walking to the Pokemon center. He then got stopped by a familiar voice, "ASH!" he then turned around and was greeted by a crying Serena. She embraced him and started to sob in his shoulder

Ash sighed, "hey it's okay. It's not the end of the world. The battle wasn't on my side today. Ill be fine" he gave Serena a fake smile and she knew it

Serena while sniffling, "I'm sorry it ended like that. I know how hard you train and everything. You deserved that win. I don't care who says you don't. You put in more hard work than anyone I know. I don't unders-"

She was then cut off by Ash hugging her. He started to tear up. Serena held him tight and gave him more encouraging words. Ash finally spoke up, "Thank you Serena. I needed that. I don't understand as well but it'll all be okay. It'll just be hard to get past this one for a while"

Serena gave him a reassuring smile, "I know. Ill be here for you as well"

Ash smiled at her, this time a real one. "Well looks like I need to heal my team. I'll catch up with everyone soon. Go find them so they know I'm okay"

Serena nodded and took off. Ash headed to the center. While walking the whole scene replayed in his head. It depressed him. After healing, he walked back outside to be greeted by a sobbing lemon haired girl.

Bonnie:"Ash! You should have won! It isn't fair"

Clemont sighed, "Bonnie you can't act like this towards Ash. He needs encouragement"

Ash reassured him, "No it's alright. I don't understand as well as you guys"

They all chatted for a little bit before going back to the center

Indigo plateau, Kanto region

"Master! Ash just lost the Kalos league and now is very depressed!"