seven; waiting for your heart

you're just playing, i keep waiting for your heart, i keep waiting for you.

"is anybody gonna lift me up? when you gonna come lift me up? i'm out of my head, flat on my face. is anybody here listening? when you gonna come let me in? don't let me go," michael sang halfheartedly, his fingers slowly strumming the guitar that ashton had gifted him with years ago. he had just discovered it in his mess of a closet and ended up sitting on his bedroom floor, guitar in his lap and low melodies escaping his lips.

a pout formed on michael's lips as he heard the doorbell ringing. he didn't feel like getting up to go answer the door, so he remained quiet and kept his gaze down on his guitar. michael let his fingers graze the strings, then he heard a dog barking which made him confusedly furrow his eyebrows.

"michael, you need to learn how to lock your damn door," ashton's prominent australian accent filled the air as michael heard his front door being shut and then footsteps moving towards his bedroom. michael glanced up as ashton stood in michael's doorway, his dog by his feet and a small frown on his lips.

"hi," michael fadedly smiled at misty as ashton took off her leash. she immediately pounced towards michael, so he hesitantly placed his guitar on his bed before pulling the adorable puppy into his lap and giving her multiple kisses all over.

"mike, sorry to drop by unexpectedly, but what's going on?" ashton asked softly, taking a seat on michael's bed next to the old guitar, "the last time i caught you playing this guitar, well... you weren't in the best place."

"m'just thinking, ash," michael muttered, cupping the dog's face briefly before he allowed her to lick all over his face, "i needed to do something to pass the time."

ashton's fingertips brushed across the guitar's strings, the soft noise ringing in all of their ears before he placed both of his hands back in his lap and directed his gaze intently on the faux blond seated on the floor. "i'm just so worried about you, okay? i've known you for a long time, and i know that this behaviour isn't like you. you're keeping something from me and i want to know what it is so i can be there for my best friend."

"no, it's fine," michael replied with lips pressed together, keeping his gaze down on the dog in his lap. misty sniffed at his cheek before licking his cheekbone, most likely tasting the saltiness of the tears that had lingered there earlier that day.

"god, you're so stubborn, mikey, and all i want to do is help you!" ashton sputtered, getting down on his knees in front of the boy seated on the floor. he frowned when michael didn't glance up at him, so he reached out to take michael's face in his large hands with a soft touch, "let me be there for you, whatever it is."

michael's lower lip wobbled as he searched ashton's bright hazel eyes, and he couldn't stop the tears from escaping his eyes for the second time that day. he wrapped his arms around ashton as he buried his face into the crook of ashton's neck, his entire body shaking as ashton quickly hugged michael back. misty hopped out of his lap and trotted over to his closet, sniffing at the various items that laid on the floor.

"i-i'm in love with someone who won't ever love me back," michael finally admitted in a low whisper once he had calmed down a bit. ashton slowly pulled out of their embrace, sympathy clear in his expression as he cupped both sides of michael's face again to wipe away the tears quickly drying on his cheeks.

"who?" ashton's jaw clenched, anger obviously taking over his expression as he continued to brush away michael's tears. the faux blond sniffled and briefly rubbed the tip of his nose, needing to make sure that his nose wasn't running from his little sobbing fest.