Compliance

Watching Steve pack for a mission had never been one of your favorite things to do, but being his usual mission partner with a current overwhelming desire to get your mind off of what was happening in your personal life with the kids, this was probably the worst it had been. Over the past two months, he had been called out on several solo missions, which in itself wasn't strange, but each one had taken longer and longer, and it seemed to be draining him. As he put his belongings into his bag, he seemed restless too, and after a few absentminded moments of losing his socks and then one of his boots, you decided to get to the bottom of what was happening to the normally most organized person that you knew.

"Steve, are you going to talk to me, or are you really about to leave me for a week with your head in a mess?"

"I'm fine."

"You're lying."

"I'm not."

He gave you a harsh glare when you let out a loud sigh of disapproval, but it didn't phase you. Steve could bring as much attitude as he wanted, but you knew that you were right about something being wrong, and you were going to figure it out. "Is it about the kids? Because Wanda and Vision promised us that they would help-"

"No."

"You don't want to go?"

"I'm fine, (Y/N), please drop it."

"You're pretty defensive for a guy who's fine."

"Goddamn it, shut up already!"

You took a step back at the sudden rage aimed at you, and the warning in his eyes that you should listen to him. "Steve-"

"And don't you dare say language to me, (Y/N), I fucking hate that."

"I wasn't going to," you whispered, taking another step away. "I'm sorry...I'll...I'll drop it."

"Good," he spat, slamming the last two items into his bag and yanking the zipper closed angrily. "I need to focus, and I can't do it with you nagging me all the time. I can't wait to get the hell out of here for the next week. If I'm lucky, I can make it two." He didn't look back at you again before slinging his pack over his shoulder and storming towards the door, slamming it behind him without another word.

You weren't sure how long you stood silently, frozen and in utter shock, staring at the closed door as if it would open at any second to produce the Steve that you knew with an apology and the fulfilled promise of never leaving for a mission angry. But as the minutes ticked by, your hope dwindled, replaced with confusion and finally fear; that wasn't your Steve.

~~~

"Anthony, look at me," Wanda directed the little one gently, "touch my hand."

Five chubby fingers rested in her palm as he looked in her eyes, and he immediately stilled. "Wan-na...happy?"

"Very close, yes," she smiled, eliciting a return smile from him, "but we will teach you more words to help you get it just right. Can you make Wanda feel sad?"

"No," he shook his head emphatically, pulling his hand away. "Don't want to."

"It's okay, Anthony, I want you to. We can change it back."

"No, don't want to," he repeated, standing up with wide eyes and turning back towards the door with a point of his hand. "Mama scared."

This caught Vision's attention, drawing him away from his work with Brooklyn, who immediately dropped the group of blocks that she had levitating in front of her. "Anthony? You can sense her without touch?"