Catastrophe

Warning: Heavy Angst

"I'll take (Y/N)," Tony began, "no one else makes a move towards her, got it? Sam and Vision on Steve, and Nat, Wanda and Scott on Bucky. We need to isolate them from each other to get control. If they come at us together, we could lose this thing before it starts. Bruce, you stay out here with the kids until it's time and I call for you. Don't go green unless you have to. Clint's taking the high ground inside, and Thor, Rhodey, and Peter are taking them apart out here so no one gets away." He stopped and looked at each member of the team before him, connecting wordlessly as he caught their gaze one by one, but Clint refused to look up. "No one gets to back down once we're in there, alright? If you're not sure that you can do this, then step away now before we're on the line."

Clint nodded along silently, counting the arrows in his quiver for the fifth time in the same number of minutes; it was how he calmed himself when his nerves started taking over. One, two, three, he began again, his fingers gently gliding over each fletching to make sure that there wasn't even the tiniest crack in the feathering as to not worry about a misfire or a skewed flight. Today, of all of his days with the Avengers, it felt like every shot that he would take carried the highest risk and should be treated with the utmost respect for the arrows at his fingertips. One, two, three, he began again.

Wanda stood next to Vision, listening to Tony but not letting his voice take her focus; instead, her eyes were on the three little ones standing at his side. They were trying to look so brave and ready to do whatever they needed to do to get their parents back. They were so small next to him, and her heart broke for them that they had to do something like this at such a young age. Tony had tried and failed to get them to leave when they insisted that their skills would win this battle and that they needed to stay; Wanda was the one who agreed and supported them, but now she was having second thoughts and her fear began to win.

"Viz, did I make a mistake?"

"No."

"But they're so young and untested. If they get hurt because I said that they should stay..."

"They will prevail."

"We've only done this twice before," she whispered with a shake of her head. "They'll need you when the time comes or it won't work."

"I will be there."

"Is something wrong?" she asked, turning to face him. "You're being very curt."

"I will never become accustomed to taking life, Wanda," he replied quietly. "I know that these people are thought to be evil and dangerous, and that the only way to retrieve our teammates is through the enemy, but it is still the end of a life at my hands."

In this matter, she had easily found herself siding with Tony and his plan to rush the school until they found the three of you, taking out anyone who got in their way without a second thought. She could understand Vision's hesitation and struggle on a logical level, but her emotions were winning within her today, and she was going to do anything that she had to do. Her devotion was to your children, and if killing was the only way to get you back to them, then she would find a way to her own absolution later.

"Then only take those when there are no other options. They wouldn't hesitate to end you like you are for them."

"That doesn't excuse it."

"No," she sighed, dropping her shoulders heavily at the end of the long breath, "but what they are doing to (Y/N), Steve, and Bucky doesn't allow them to deserve our compassion. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel."