Leap

When a couple of weeks had passed without any incident from you, Steve, or Bucky, it was decided that it was time to get back to business as usual, finding the three of you taking part in a mission that Tony had guaranteed to be quick and would have you back home in no time. It felt good to be in your uniform again; the right one, with no sign of the Hydra emblem anywhere on it. It felt good to be trusted to do your job, and to know that the team had your back should anything happen; even with that, you were more determined than ever before to prove that you were ready.

Steve grabbed the final strap on your parachute harness, giving it a firm tug and snapping the closure into place with a satisfied nod that it had met his own personal assurance that you were safely in. "So, any ideas on what you want for Christmas this year?"

"Yeah, for you to trust that I know how to put on my own parachute."

"Sorry, it's a habit, you know that."

"Sure, but it still makes me feel like you don't trust me to do it."

"Do you check Bucky's harness too, Cap?" Clint joined in, always the instigator, with a broad smile across his face until Steve's glare wiped it away.

"Can it, Barton," he snapped. "It's not that I don't trust you, doll. I just worry. Can't help it," he shrugged, "and yes, I checked his too." Ignoring what you had just said a few seconds ago, he took your shoulders in hand and turned you to face away, checking that the release for the chute was free and clear for when you needed it to open.

"I checked that too, Steve," you groaned, turning back, "so please, accept that I know what I'm doing. At least I wear one."

"I don't need to wear one."

"No, and if I had a shock-absorbing Vibranium safety net like you do, I wouldn't either," you argued, "but we have responsibilities at home that go beyond just you and I. I don't want to go home and have to tell those kids that you're not coming back because you landed wrong when you chose to not be safe about this."

"You know, it's really hard to argue with you when you make sense," he relented.

"I know, honey, I know," you smiled, pushing up on your toes for a quick kiss. "Now, because I also know that it was hard for you to admit that, I'll let you have the honors of pushing me off the jet."

"That's so sweet." He gave you one more kiss, smiling coyly as he pushed his hands against your shoulders, knocking you back and into the wide open sky below. He kept a watchful eye on you until you were out of his sight, turning back to grab his shield with a glance to a parachute pack sitting by his feet. "Do you think I need one of these, Parker?"

"No way, Cap," Peter answered readily, standing to take his place in line to jump, "you've totally got this. Just tuck and roll, right?"

"Right," Steve sighed, "I was doing this since before she was born." He stepped up to the jet door and secured the shield to his back, about to take the final few steps forward when a pain shot across his chest and he couldn't breathe. He looked down again at the vastness below, and he felt frozen in place. His eyes widened at the nothingness and his head began to spin, staggering him a few paces back when Peter grabbed his arms to keep him from toppling over the side. A piercing fear was gripping his mind and he couldn't shake it, allowing it to take full control of his body in a time when he felt absolutely none.

"Woah, Cap, you okay?"

"I...I can't..." he panted in reply, "it's too f-far...we're so high up...I c-can't..."

Peter looked back at Clint, who was piloting the jet and of no use to help him, "what do I do?"

"Get him back in here," Barton commanded, "I can't do auto pilot with the shots coming at us, so you're gonna have to talk him down."