Visitors

Some language

As if Steve hadn't already felt like his ass had been kicked from one side of the planet to the other, there just had to be one more thing to push him that much closer to falling apart. He couldn't catch a break, not that he felt deserving of one, but every man has their limit and he knew that if this asshole in front of him didn't back the fuck down, he was gonna see it.

"So, what excuse are you going to fabricate to explain this one away?" Secretary Ross snapped at the Captain. "Taking a little Sunday trip into D.C. to wreak havoc and start a public incident because you didn't think we'd find out? You didn't check in like we agreed, Captain. Like you swore to do when you signed your name."

"I wasn't going to let my wife stay with them another minute while I waited for a table full of old men with no idea how the real world works to decide if I could go or not."

"And where is (Y/N) now?"

"I don't know," Steve replied quietly. "She didn't come back with us."

"No, she didn't," Ross agreed. "Instead, she went off the rails and almost killed Stark and left a hole in your arm as a heartwarming parting gift. And now she's who the hell knows where, armed and with a cracked brain full of Hydra handiwork. You tell me how this isn't a matter of national security now, Rogers. You tell me why I shouldn't lock your ass up and handle it myself."

"Because you don't need to," Steve answered, feeling the anger building in his muscles, and the loss of urge to control them. "We can handle this. We will handle this. It's a family matter, not a security risk."

"Well it wouldn't be the first time that your family was a security risk, would it?" Ross stood from the table and pushed his hands into his pockets, pausing for a minute to watch Steve before he began again. "You're off this, Rogers. All of you. I've already put a team together to find and detain her. They've been trying to catch her trail for the last twelve hours, but haven't had a hit. If you have any information that could send us in the right direction, now would be the time to provide it."

"Like hell I will."

"Don't get in the middle of this," Ross warned, "you'll regret it, believe me."

"Do you think that I give a damn about your threats right now?" Steve challenged and stood, his voice rising enough to catch the attention of Thor and Natasha in the next room. "What gives you any right to tell me that I can't try to find my own wife? You have a lot of goddamn nerve to come in here and push me around, telling me to stay home and trust you, when you haven't done one thing to earn it. Get the hell out."

"Steve," Natasha joined in, rushing through the door to stand at his side. She put a cautious hand on his arm, but he sharply shook it away, knocking her a few steps back. "Steve, calm down."

"Captain, I think you should take a minute-"

"I think you should do what you're told if you know what's good for you," Steve snapped, his eyes full of rage as he pushed forward, thrusting his hand against the Secretary's chest to knock him back into the wall. "I think you should listen to me very carefully. I'm going to find my wife. I'm going to bring her home and you're not gonna have a thing to say about it. Your panel can just look the other way, and let me handle my family's business how I see fit."

"Because you've done so well so far?"

The secretary winced and tried to pull away, just barely evading Steve's fist as it slammed into the window next to his head with a shattering hit that sent shards of broken glass falling to the ground at their feet. Thor was immediately at his friend's side, grabbing his arms and struggling to pull him back and away from the Secretary before he could land a real hit. He knew that if he let go now, Steve would kill him.