Homecoming

Just do everything that we tell you to do, without question, and we won't turn this into a family affair.

"Okay, kids, let's just stay calm and head to the parking lot to find your parents," Tony guided, helping the rest of the children from the building while keeping a sharp eye for his three grandkids to appear in the crowd. You, Steve and Bucky had gone inside to look for them and he was tasked to keep the perimeter secure while helping to get the other kids to their families without any further incident.

"Mr. Iron Man, I can't find my mommy."

"Oh, hey guy," Tony replied gently, opening the mask of his suit to greet the small boy, "don't you worry, okay? We'll find her. Maybe she just isn't here yet."

"Okay," he nodded nervously, "but can I stay with you until she is?"

"Hmm...well...I don't think it's safe with me..." he stopped, a sight across the lot bringing a smile quickly across his lips. "Hey, besides me, obviously, who's your favorite Avenger?"

"Cap 'Merica."

"Oh. Alright, then after him?"

"Spiderman."

"Right," Tony sighed in frustration, "after him?"

"Black Widow."

"Really? Interesting choice, but I like it," he smiled. "How about one more?"

"Falcon."

"Excellent choice, young man," Tony finally agreed, "because look who's here now!" He took the boy's arms gently and turned him to see Sam exiting his car with Bruce, Clint and Wanda in tow. "What do ya say we ask Falcon to hang with you so I can finish helping the rest of these kids out? Does that sound okay?"

"Yeah, I suppose," the boy shrugged with a lack of enthusiasm now.

Tony couldn't help but laugh at the young man's tone, but did his best to keep a straight face under the frightening circumstances. With a gentle nudge, he pushed the little one forward with a misstep in his footing, leaving Sam to arrive just in time for him to fall into his arms. "Hey, Wilson, I've got your biggest fan here who would love to hang out while I get all of his friends corralled like a herd of rabid cats. See, you're getting along great already!" With that, he closed his mask and took flight towards the back of the building before he could be stopped.

"Hey, I didn't come down here to babysit!"

"Just roll with it," Tony continued to laugh, "the three musketeers are in there looking for the kids, so I could use your help out here. They've been in there a while now so-"

"Dad, I need you-"

Only four words in to your call for him and he changed his course to blast through the main doors without a thought to anything else; it was the fastest way to get to you. The tone in your voice carried enough fear for the two of you, but he still managed to surpass that on his own as he struggled to maintain control.

"Stark! Stark, hold up!" Clint called out to him. "You're gonna need back up!"

"Stay here!" he repeated. "I need you guys to make sure that no one gets away if they try to run!" Tony reached the top of the steps and stopped, feeling his heart begin to race out of his control, his breaths strained with his building fear and anxiety at the promise he had made you about what this could bring. "I'm the only one who can do this," he murmured to himself, closing his eyes for a second before aiming his repulsors at the doors, shooting them open to what could easily become the worst moment of his life.