Stay

When the four of you returned to the compound, there was an immediate split, with Steve and Bucky returning to the team, and you and Tony leaving for Wakanda to pick up the kids. Of course, Steve desperately wanted to talk to you again, but Bucky had convinced him to pull back for a while until you could make your way back home later and had some time to think after the debacle at the safe house. To keep his mind occupied until that day could come, he took the opportunity to lead a mission that required the team to depart right away, leaving him no time to even attempt to intercept you.

Steve stood at the large window that overlooked the yard just outside of the hangar bay, his hands pushed firmly into his pockets so that he could fight the urge to wring them together as he watched for the jet to carry you and Tony away. Maybe he was just imagining it, in his desire for anything that would connect you to him, but as the jet cleared the doors he swore that he saw it slow just enough for you to look back; he felt you look to him, and he had no interest in convincing himself otherwise. His mind had been playing with him quite a bit of late, and this time he didn't seem to care.

"Hey, man, time for us to go," Sam broke into his thoughts, taking a stand next to him, "you ready for this?"

"I am. But I do have one question that you might be able to help me with."

"Sure, anything."

"I was going to do a little reading on the flight, but wouldn't ya know, I just can't seem to find that stack of papers that I left with you yesterday."

"Really?" Sam asked, doing his best to act surprised and completely failing; even your little ones wouldn't have bought his performance. "Weird. Where do you think they could go?"

"Sam, come on. You lie about as bad as I do. What's going on?"

Sam sighed in defeat, glancing at Steve for just a second before looking back out over the grounds with a quiet chuckle under his breath. He had gotten his hopes up before that you and Cap could work this out, and being honest with himself, he never really lost that hope. The last thing he wanted to do was to let that seep out and over to Steve so that he didn't set him up for just another let-down, but this was the first real sign that had him thinking it was all going to be okay.

"She told Bucky to hide them from you."

"She...she what? She did? Why? Why would she do that? What does that mean? Did she change her mind? Do you think I need to call her?"

"Steve, hey, you've gotta settle down," Sam interrupted, a hand up to stop him. "This is exactly why I didn't want to say anything. Let's not read too much into this, okay? He said that she was confused and wanted to think while she was away with the kids. It doesn't mean that she changed her mind."

"But she could."

"Hell yeah, she could," he agreed energetically, totally ignoring the resolve that he had made to play it cool; he quickly realized that he needed to reel both of them in before they were in too deep. "Listen, she's gonna come around, we all believe that. But right now, let's focus on this job and let her hang out with the kids for a while. It might be good to get your head out of it for a few days."

"Yeah, you're probably right, Sam. Maybe a mission is just what I need right now."

~~~

"Maaaamaaaa! Paaaapaaaa!" came the beautiful squeals that were music to your ears, belonging to the three little blondes running across the lawn towards you. Both you and Tony kneeled down readily to accept them, and their confusion was immediate in their sweet faces; did they run to you or to their Papa? They wanted you both, and the decision was nearly too much. In a last second maneuver, they ambushed you both, knocking you backwards in a heap of laughter and pained groans.